Magazine release sticks--ammo issue?

Forum for comments and questions regarding all ammunition types.

Magazine release sticks--ammo issue?

Postby C.E.Martin » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:44 am

Just got my CPX-1, and haven't been to the range yet... But I notice that when I put regular ball ammo in it, the magazine pops out fine. If I put some fancy hollowpoints in, sometimes I the release sticks--I push it and nothing happens. I have to pull the magazine out.

Is this an issue with the ammo? Or do I maybe have a bad magazine? A bad magazine release?

For that matter, after reading the manufacturer recommendation to avoid steel and aluminum case ammo, I'm wondering if my expensive hollowpoints are going to even feed properly. I have grown rather accustomed to carrying hollowpoints and being comforted to know they are more likely to stay in a target than pass through and hit some bystander. (I carried a full sized Ruger for years, but retired and turned it back in, switching to a SCCY for its much more compact size).
C.E.Martin

Re: Magazine release sticks--ammo issue?

Postby getvicious » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:31 am

C.E.Martin wrote:Just got my CPX-1, and haven't been to the range yet... But I notice that when I put regular ball ammo in it, the magazine pops out fine. If I put some fancy hollowpoints in, sometimes I the release sticks--I push it and nothing happens. I have to pull the magazine out.

Is this an issue with the ammo? Or do I maybe have a bad magazine? A bad magazine release?

For that matter, after reading the manufacturer recommendation to avoid steel and aluminum case ammo, I'm wondering if my expensive hollowpoints are going to even feed properly. I have grown rather accustomed to carrying hollowpoints and being comforted to know they are more likely to stay in a target than pass through and hit some bystander. (I carried a full sized Ruger for years, but retired and turned it back in, switching to a SCCY for its much more compact size).

How many different types of ammo have you tried in the same mag? Do All brands of HP ammo in that mag release normally? Do All brands of Ball ammo in that mag release abnormally?

If the issue is consistent I would call SCCY. Before calling I would shoot the pistol a bit to see if the issue is real or just an unfired behavior that stops once it is fired a little.

Be sure to clean / lube the pistol and mags before your first use. That way you start with a known well cleaned and lubed gun.

I don't understand the connection between your "expensive hollowpoints" to the "manufacturer recommendation to avoid steel and aluminum case ammo" - why are you concerned?

Does your defensive HP ammo use steel or aluminum cases?
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby 777Driver » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:36 pm

I've had a few times when I thought the magazine was in all the way when it wasn't. I don't think it was an issue with the ammo, I just hadn't seated the magazine all the way in. My right hand sometimes would get in the way as I pushed the mag in with my left hand. I even thought I heard a click, but probably didn't.
Make sure you slam the mag all the way in. Even give the mag a pull to make sure it is seated all the way in.
777Driver

Postby tomahawk » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:20 pm

I have a similar problem. With not cartridge in the barrel my slide is all the way froward. When I put a round in the barrel the slide doesn't go all the way forward by about 1/2 inch. Is this normal? I am using a 9mm cartridge. I have not fired it yet.
tomahawk

Postby Pony Soldier » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:34 pm

Are you using the slide release lever to load the round? If you pull back on the slide to disengage you might not have enough force energy to feed a round all the way.
Pony Soldier
Seasoned Member

Postby arcus10mm » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:42 pm

tomahawk wrote:I have a similar problem. With not cartridge in the barrel my slide is all the way froward. When I put a round in the barrel the slide doesn't go all the way forward by about 1/2 inch. Is this normal? I am using a 9mm cartridge. I have not fired it yet.

PUT THE AMMO IN THE MAGAZINE THEN -----If the firearm is in the slide hold position, insert a full magazine. Press
the slide
hold lever to release the side.
once you press the lever, let the slide close
unassisted; do not grip or touch the slide as it travels forward. This will feed a
cartridge from the magazine into the chamber. The firearm is now loaded and
ready to be discharged
arcus10mm
Veteran Member

Return to Ammunition