Walmart 9mm

Forum for comments and questions regarding all ammunition types.

Walmart 9mm

Postby economod » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:42 pm

I'm at my local Walmart almost every week for groceries, and whenever I'm there I always check the 9mm ammo display in sporting goods. I noticed last week that the 100rnd tubs of TulAmmo BrassMaxx were gone, and in its place on the shelf are 200rnd boxes of Winchester White Box. Anybody else seeing this?
economod
Veteran Member

Re: Walmart 9mm

Postby getvicious » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:10 pm

I haven't noticed the BrassMaxx being gone, but I haven't really looked for it either.

I have seen the 200 round WWB. I picked up two boxes before Christmas for stocking stuffers for my small and medium kids. The price was okay ($47.95) - actually, since it was the only brass case 9mm Luger they had, the price was fine. I also got 3 boxes of CCI Stinger .22lr that the sales lady found under the counter.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby economod » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:28 pm

Yeah, that's the same price I've seen, which matches the $24 per hundred of the BrassMaxx. But the BrassMaxx has a shorter OAL. Oh well, Remington UMC is also shorter, and widely available. And I've still got 150 rds of it from Rural King. I also scored 300 CCI 22lr MiniMags at Gander Mountain when it was last in stock.
economod
Veteran Member

Postby getvicious » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:10 am

economod wrote:Yeah, that's the same price I've seen, which matches the $24 per hundred of the BrassMaxx. But the BrassMaxx has a shorter OAL. Oh well, Remington UMC is also shorter, and widely available. And I've still got 150 rds of it from Rural King. I also scored 300 CCI 22lr MiniMags at Gander Mountain when it was last in stock.

I've never had an issue shooting WWB or any other FMJ rounds.

I know some others have had issues and see the measurements folks have done with their mags and various brands of ammo. It's definitely a real issue for some. I can only assume my mags are old enough that whatever change was made came after my mags were made.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby wrench459 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:21 am

Picked up some wwb 147g jhp for 21 and change at wally world yesterday.
wrench459
Veteran Member

Postby economod » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:43 am

wrench459 wrote:Picked up some wwb 147g jhp for 21 and change at wally world yesterday.

The only WWB JHP 9mm I've bought here have been 115gr at GanderM for $25+tax, but shelf's normally empty.
They're shorter too, of course. But I'd like to see some of that 147 locally. Never seen it at Walmart.
I did get some WWB JHP .357 110gr at Walmart a while back.
economod
Veteran Member

Postby getvicious » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:22 am

economod wrote:
wrench459 wrote:Picked up some wwb 147g jhp for 21 and change at wally world yesterday.

The only WWB JHP 9mm I've bought here have been 115gr at GanderM for $25+tax, but shelf's normally empty.
They're shorter too, of course. But I'd like to see some of that 147 locally. Never seen it at Walmart.
I did get some WWB JHP .357 110gr at Walmart a while back.

The Walmart here has the WWB 147 grain JHP rounds once in a while. I bought a box quite a while ago "just because."

It shoots good in my CPX, and feels good in the hand when shooting it (to me). I don't carry it as I like the Critical Defense / ZombieMax ammo with the insert in the cavity for clothing penetration and expansion. If there's a need to use it at home or someplace like a store (for defense) I don't want over penetration.

I haven't used the entire box and keep it as SHTF stock.
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby economod » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:47 am

getvicious wrote:The Walmart here has the WWB 147 grain JHP rounds once in a while. I bought a box quite a while ago "just because."

It shoots good in my CPX, and feels good in the hand when shooting it (to me). I don't carry it as I like the Critical Defense / ZombieMax ammo with the insert in the cavity for clothing penetration and expansion. If there's a need to use it at home or someplace like a store (for defense) I don't want over penetration.

I haven't used the entire box and keep it as SHTF stock.

I fired a box of Speer Lawman 147gr flat nose that felt real good.
My brother bought a box of Winchester W Defend 147gr JHP for a good price somewhere.
As shown at Ammo Quest 9mm, it's true that the Hornady 115gr JHP FTX Critical Defense will penetrate a few inches less, and with very good expansion.
The WWB JHP sure are a good value though, for self defense ammo.
economod
Veteran Member

Postby potmetal » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:47 pm

Some of our local Walmarts have started stocking Federal 115gr FMJ in aluminum cases. I've tried it in other guns and it shot clean and trouble free. It was only about $10 a box of 50. It was hard to turn down at that price.
potmetal

Postby getvicious » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:54 am

SCCY says not to use steel or aluminum cased ammo. They say they make that statement based on the number of complaints they get concerning steel and aluminum cased ammo.

So, be aware that you may have malfunctions with aluminum cased ammo.
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby strider43 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:27 pm

potmetal wrote:Some of our local Walmarts have started stocking Federal 115gr FMJ in aluminum cases. I've tried it in other guns and it shot clean and trouble free. It was only about $10 a box of 50. It was hard to turn down at that price.

I have seen that and "perfecta". The Perfecta is brass casings with a respectable load for $9.75 a box.
strider43
Forum Regular

Postby economod » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:30 am

The cheap Perfecta-brass ($9.78+tax) & Federal-aluminum ($9.97+tax) both shoot fine in my B6P (100% reliable).

I've still not seen the short BrassMaxx-Bosnia, ever since I noticed it disappeared from Walmart last January.
But I no longer have a specific need for shorter ammo ... Remington UMC is widely available for those who do.

Shorter Ammo: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17028&start=15#p48248
economod
Veteran Member

Postby economod » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:07 pm

Perfecta-brass ($9.78+tax) ... shelf has been empty last three Fridays.
Federal-alum ($9.97+tax) ... just two boxes today.

Going to have to shop for the cheap stuff on days that aren't Fridays, and hope its not being hoarded.
economod
Veteran Member

Postby Mrbone » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:54 pm

Umc,wwb,federal champion and blazer brass were all perfect in my cpx. And all in stock at wally all the time.
Mrbone
Veteran Member

Postby FloridaPilot » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:22 am

Perfecta has done me good lately. I guess it's technically Fiochi, so it can't be terrible. I've also shot 200 rounds of the aluminum cases Federal through my CPX-1 without an issue. I prefer the Perfecta (reloading), but the aluminum case stuff does seem to burn cleaner.

I do know that at the Walmart where I get my ammo, there's a few "preppers" who will wait out on delivery day and buy abhorrent amounts at once. One gentleman I've met at the sporting goods counter claims to buy 10 boxes of Perfecta a week. In the back of my mind I can't help but wonder how many of these individuals there are out there, and what effect their net demand has on price. I'm not complaining, to each their own, but just a thought.

I finally got to the point where, buying a box every other trip or so, I have a small stockpile available should I ever need it.
FloridaPilot
Forum Regular

Next

Return to Ammunition