Walmart 9mm

Forum for comments and questions regarding all ammunition types.

Re: Walmart 9mm

Postby economod » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:39 am

FloridaPilot wrote:Perfecta has done me good lately. I guess it's technically Fiochi, so it can't be terrible. I've also shot 200 rounds of the aluminum cases Federal through my CPX-1 without an issue. I prefer the Perfecta (reloading), but the aluminum case stuff does seem to burn cleaner.

I do know that at the Walmart where I get my ammo, there's a few "preppers" who will wait out on delivery day and buy abhorrent amounts at once. One gentleman I've met at the sporting goods counter claims to buy 10 boxes of Perfecta a week. In the back of my mind I can't help but wonder how many of these individuals there are out there, and what effect their net demand has on price. I'm not complaining, to each their own, but just a thought.

I finally got to the point where, buying a box every other trip or so, I have a small stockpile available should I ever need it.

Yeah, exactly. I just want to buy a cheap box of Perfecta when I go for groceries, but am wondering if it's getting hoarded as soon as it arrives, like .22lr was for so long (still is, afaik). I'll start shopping during the week, because that shelf's been bare on Fridays. I suppose I better get three boxes if/when I see it. Thanks.

Plenty of the WWB "value paks" still sitting there, though. ha
economod
Veteran Member

Postby strider43 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:34 am

My local walmart had about ten boxes of perfecta the other day, I bought five. Good deal at ten bucks a pop. Decent ammo, it is dirty to the touch but it all is somewhat.
strider43
Forum Regular

Postby economod » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:41 am

Since last Friday, I checked Tuesday, Thursday, and again yesterday ... still no sign of any delivery.
Guess I better check other stores.
economod
Veteran Member

Postby FloridaPilot » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:45 am

So I went to Walmart before heading to the range today. Guy said they've been out of Perfecta for a couple of weeks now. He explanation he gave was that they come via container ships from Italy, but because its foreign ammo from Italy but from a company held by a Russian trust, there's something funky about it clearing customs. He said its common that they go without it for weeks at a time but will suddenly get hundreds of boxes all at once.
FloridaPilot
Forum Regular

Postby economod » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:20 pm

I hadn't heard that about Perfecta before, but it sounds reasonable. Thanks.

It doesn't explain the other empty 9mm shelves, though. It was all gone yesterday.
I assume Walmart wouldn't halt all ammo delivery to a store due to a shortage of just one brand.
economod
Veteran Member

Postby FloridaPilot » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:16 pm

economod wrote:I hadn't heard that about Perfecta before, but it sounds reasonable. Thanks.

It doesn't explain the other empty 9mm shelves, though. It was all gone yesterday.
I assume Walmart wouldn't halt all ammo delivery to a store due to a shortage of just one brand.

Oh, I missed that, my apologies. I didn't realize it was all 9mm that was the issue. I've yet to come across no ammo in store, but for cost considerations I was forced to use the Federal Aluminum today.

I do wonder where all of the ammo is going. Is it possible that demand is really outstripping supply to that effect? I mean, I know there's been a lot of "end of times" rhetoric lately from every direction, so I guess that's reasonable. I'm honestly looking at investing in a serious reloading setup in the near future to help shoot more at a lower cost per round. If I could get my 9mm per-round cost below .13 I'd be ecstatic.
FloridaPilot
Forum Regular

Postby economod » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:38 pm

Not a big deal.
I'd burn $5 of gas to drive to the next Walmart, and they might be out too.
At that rate, I can visit a nearby Dick's SG's if I need to. And Rural King is not much further.

edit >
The new Rural King ad shows 9mm Armscor 124gr FMJ brass for $10.79 - (Jul-24 / Aug-6)
1092fps - http://armscor.com/ammo/pistol/
economod
Veteran Member

Postby Merc6 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:58 am

WWB flawless and what I been using.
Mag tech also worked fine for me.
PerFecta, 16 of 100 didn't feed all the way or took the slide 4 seconds to slide the rounds out the mag and up the ramp. They also felt like they had more of a kick that the other ammo above. I alternated rounds in a few mags to see if it was placebo.

Speaking of random Walmart ammo, anyone use the ZQI ammo can for like $479?
SCCY CPX-2 CB 9MM
*Talon Rubber Black Grip & Mag Extension
*Polished Barrel
*Oversized Frame Pins

SW1911SC E Series 2- Tone .45 Auto
*Polished Barrel
Merc6
Seasoned Member

Postby strider43 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:14 am

FloridaPilot wrote:Perfecta has done me good lately. I guess it's technically Fiochi, so it can't be terrible. I've also shot 200 rounds of the aluminum cases Federal through my CPX-1 without an issue. I prefer the Perfecta (reloading), but the aluminum case stuff does seem to burn cleaner.

I do know that at the Walmart where I get my ammo, there's a few "preppers" who will wait out on delivery day and buy abhorrent amounts at once. One gentleman I've met at the sporting goods counter claims to buy 10 boxes of Perfecta a week. In the back of my mind I can't help but wonder how many of these individuals there are out there, and what effect their net demand has on price. I'm not complaining, to each their own, but just a thought.

I finally got to the point where, buying a box every other trip or so, I have a small stockpile available should I ever need it.

If I get below 2,000 rounds of DECENT ammo its time to start shopping for more. I typically have 4,000 to 5,000 rounds of defensive and target loads of 9 mm
strider43
Forum Regular

Postby economod » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:31 am

Wish I could shoot more often.
Saw 2 boxes of Perfecta yesterday at Walmart, but already bought 3 boxes of Armscor at Rural King.
Also saw some steel-case Winchester "USA Forged" 9mm still on Walmart's shelf.
economod
Veteran Member

Postby GregT » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:31 am

economod wrote:Wish I could shoot more often.
Saw 2 boxes of Perfecta yesterday at Walmart, but already bought 3 boxes of Armscor at Rural King.

Have you ever shot the Armsscor before? I was going to pick some up the other day when I was there... bought WWB instead.
GregT
Forum Regular

Postby economod » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:00 am

I don't recall ever seeing Armscor locally until it went on sale at Rural King.
But, I never was specifically looking for it, either. Nope, haven't fired any yet.

A quick check of its length (just 5 rounds) shows it is as long as the WWB.
My cpx had some extraction interference trouble with longer rounds.
I expect it to fire perfectly in my B6P.

I'll update my OAL spreadsheet after I caliper at least one box ... viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17028&start=15#p48248
economod
Veteran Member

Postby GregT » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:00 pm

Might just pick up a couple of boxes this week when I'm there... if they have any left. Another LGS is having their annual ammo sale next week... need to keep some $$$ for that. :)
GregT
Forum Regular

Postby tripleb » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:36 pm

economod wrote:I don't recall ever seeing Armscor locally until it went on sale at Rural King.
But, I never was specifically looking for it, either. Nope, haven't fired any yet.

A quick check of its length (just 5 rounds) shows it is as long as the WWB.
My cpx had some extraction interference trouble with longer rounds.
I expect it to fire perfectly in my B6P.

I'll update my OAL spreadsheet after I caliper at least one box ... viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17028&start=15#p48248

Problem I have found with WWB is the length is very inconsistent ... resulting in inconsistent FTF issues in my CPX2. Quite a few rounds out of a box are on the bleeding edge of being too long (SAMMI Specs).
tripleb
Seasoned Member

Postby tripleb » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:37 pm

GregT wrote:
economod wrote:Wish I could shoot more often.

Have you ever shot the Armsscor before? I was going to pick some up the other day when I was there... bought WWB instead.

When Hickok45 did a review on the CPX, Armscor ammo was the only ammo he had trouble with. Light primer strikes that he attributed to harder primers.
tripleb
Seasoned Member

PreviousNext

Return to Ammunition