Training ammo

Forum for comments and questions regarding all ammunition types.

Training ammo

Postby 777Driver » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:49 pm

TrainingAmmo01.JPG

I bought a pack of 10 ST Action PRO dummy training rounds on Amazon last week. When they arrived I noticed that the center of the base, where the primer would be, is recessed (see photo). I thought part of the reason you use dummy rounds instead of an empty chamber is so the firing pin meets some resistance, and doesn't fly out the front. Now I'm thinking of filling in the center with some kind of epoxy. Any ideas?
777Driver

Re: Training ammo

Postby getvicious » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:52 pm

I don't know about epoxy as that's normally pretty hard. Maybe some RTV (silicone sealer / caulk)?
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby 777Driver » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:25 pm

Really? Caulk? I thought you'd want something hard in there. Wouldn't something soft, like caulk, possibly stick to the firing pin and foul it?
777Driver

Postby economod » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:38 pm

I think that epoxy would probably cure to be harder than an actual primer strike.
It wouldn't absorb any impact at all, and could break the pin if the cartridge cavity is full.
Some caulk would be the simplest & least expensive solution.
Just leave enough time for it to cure, usually 24hrs, and it shouldn't stick to the firing pin.
Of course, you could just buy some Tipton Snap Caps and be done with it.

"... I thought part of the reason you use dummy rounds instead of an empty chamber is so the firing pin meets some resistance, and doesn't fly out the front. ..."
Also, without any resistance, the firing pin will impact the interior of the breech face, which could cause it to peen forward, reforming the face from flat to convex, which could lead to slam-fire discharges. hth
2016 SCCY WOOD SHIMS > viewtopic.php?p=50025#p50025
9mm AMMO LENGTH > viewtopic.php?p=48248#p48248
CPX2 DESTROYED > viewtopic.php?p=51413#p51413
economod
Veteran Member

Return to Ammunition