Best Ammo for CPX 2 ?

Forum for comments and questions regarding all ammunition types.

Re: Best Ammo for CPX 2 ?

Postby Ricksza » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:29 am

From their web page Support/FAQs: Most name-brand brass cased ammo can be used. Do not use Steel Cased, Aluminum Cased, or reloads. +P ammunition is recommended only for very limited use in Gen 2 only. Standard grain (bullet weight): 115 and 124, and 147 in Gen 2
Ricksza

Postby getvicious » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:51 pm

Ricksza wrote:From their web page Support/FAQs: Most name-brand brass cased ammo can be used. Do not use Steel Cased, Aluminum Cased, or reloads. +P ammunition is recommended only for very limited use in Gen 2 only. Standard grain (bullet weight): 115 and 124, and 147 in Gen 2

SCCY has recommended this since at least 2010 when I first called them about Remington ammo sometimes needing two trigger pulls to fire. They recommended against any ammo (like Remington) with hard primers at that time. The ammo brand recommendations have changed with the Gen 2 pistols but the "recommend against" steel and aluminum case has been a constant since then. I asked why and was told based on user complaints about steel and aluminum.
This is the SCCY FAQ page: http://www.sccy.com/faqs/
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Best Ammo for CPX 2 ?

Postby ursamajor » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:27 am

Wow, no Aluminum? Not any harder than brass. I know it does not contract as quickly as brass, and thus in some guns, may have ejection issues. But I've had nary an issue with it.

If it is legitimately an issue of the gun's internals not being able to hold up to the SOFT material known as aluminum cases, the gun is not sound to shoot IMHO.

Part of the reason I'm not an AR guy in the slightest. I'm more about the combination of toughness/ reliability, blended with practical/real world accuracy. Which is why I'll always pick a Mini over an AR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ursamajor

Postby economod » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:54 am

Perhaps SURFACE FRICTION is the problematic issue with aluminum cased ammo. Compared to brass, aluminum requires more spring return force to scrub the top round from the magazine. Aluminum cased ammo is not a problem with pistols that don't have persistent spring issues.
hth
economod
Veteran Member

Postby ursamajor » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:49 pm

economod wrote:Perhaps SURFACE FRICTION is the problematic issue with aluminum cased ammo. Compared to brass, aluminum requires more spring return force to scrub the top round from the magazine. Aluminum cased ammo is not a problem with pistols that don't have persistent spring issues.
hth
interesting.

For me, the litmus test as to whether the recoil spring is adequate, is to drop a round in the pipe without a magazine in, and ease the slide down onto it. If when I let go, the slide does not go right into full battery, I know I need a heavier spring. The SCCY out of the box is incapable of this, which is why I upgraded the recoil spring to 20lbs.

After reading your post, I tested it out. I fully loaded a mag with Federal 115gr Aluminum Case. I SUPER gently allowed the slide to make contact with the top round (meaning the slide had zero momentum prior to coming in contact with the round), then let go. It went right into battery, no hangup, or hesitation. Due to spring tension, the top round is always the hardest to extract.

I know that Aluminum gets a micro layer of oxidation. I figured if anything, that would make it slightly more slick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ursamajor

Postby getvicious » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:48 pm

If you want the reason SCCY recommends against aluminum case ammo just call them and ask.

When I called about 5 years ago they said "user complaints" and that they had more malfunctions reported with aluminum than brass.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby Pony Soldier » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:22 pm

Scanning the TV stations recently I hit on one of "The Shooters Programs" where they were testing 380 ammo. The pistol that was being fired during the test was a SCCY CPX 3. There were no "Fail to Fire", "Fail to Eject", "Fail to Feed" or any other problems associated with the pistol or tested ammo. Do you expect when we might see the release of the new "Quad Lock CPX 3" hit the market?
Pony Soldier
Seasoned Member

Postby wrench459 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:30 pm

I've shot a few 380 rounds out of my 9
For the world of me I don't see the connection.
wrench459
Veteran Member

Postby Robin L Studdard » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:01 am

To me, and I'n no gun expert, the feed ramp on the SCCY seems to be "Steep" and a number of longer nosed hollow points tend to jam or dig in when feeding. For target practice I use PerFecta 115GR FMJ. For EDC I choose and find that the Remington 115GR UMC JHP works well. Here are a few pictures of various Hollow Points one can see how the the Remington looks like a FMJ with a hole drilled out in the center and is shorter then most JHP's. The Remington's seem shorter and more rounded, enabling ti to feed well. IMHO.
5030.jpg
Winchester 115 GR JHP then Remington 115 GR UMC JHP
5030.jpg (33.11 KiB) Viewed 347 times
5031.jpg
Different Winchester 115 GR bullet #1 JHP and Remington 115 GR UMC JHP
5031.jpg (20.79 KiB) Viewed 347 times
5035.jpg
R.I.P. Civic Duty, Winchester 115 GR Bullet #2 JHP, and Remington 115 GR UMC JHP
5036.jpg
Barnes 115 gr +P TAC XPD, R.I.P. Civic Duty, Winchester 115 GR Bullet #2 JHP, Remington 115 GR UMC JHP
5038.jpg
Barnes 115 gr +P, TAC XPD, Browning 147gr BXP, R.I.P. Civic Duty, Winchester 115 GR Bullet #2 JHP, Remington 115GR UMC JHP
Robin L Studdard

Postby wrench459 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:32 pm

Saami specs 1.00/25.40mm -1.169/29.69mm.
Most of my reloads are at 1.060 124gr. jhp's.
wrench459
Veteran Member

Postby JeepJeff » Wed May 10, 2017 2:09 pm

I emailed SCCY regarding their feelings towards not recommending aluminum ammo and this was their reply (extraction issues).

"Good Afternoon,
We have seen Extractions issues with this typw of Ammo.
If you would like to provide me with your phone# I will have a Tech contact and discuss this further."

It was written by Danice Allen from SCCY Industries
I'm Just Along For The Ride.........
JeepJeff

Previous

Return to Ammunition