CPX-2 Feed failures / mag issures

Forum for comments and questions regarding all ammunition types.

CPX-2 Feed failures / mag issures

Postby PROF59 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:10 am

After cleaning / lubing gun and all 5 mags went to range to try out new CPX-2. Three rounds old FMJ 115 gr on hand no problems in mags supplied with gun. Decided to cut test short due to barely staying on paper at 50' (left prescription glasses 45 miles away) and massive recoil. Ammo was military surplus so probably hotter. Switched to WIN T&D 147 and last of 3 loaded (loader arrives this week) jammed half out of mag. Loaded 7 FIOCCHI 115 gr FMJHP other mag and released slide to get top round jam on barrel ramp. Removed mag and called it a day. Arriving home took pictures of both jammed mags (later) and removed rounds for closer look. Mags seem to have very sharp inner edges of lips which gouge casing and the T&D round has small circular gouge in jacket from mag?? Don't think problem with ammo, yet, and will try smoothing front lip of mags and try again. Closer look at fired cases shows no bulges apparent but flattened primers and what looks like off center firing pin strike or casing moving while pin still engaged??!! Pictures follow after I get macro mode working. Not ready for EDC yet but hopeful.
PROF59

Re: CPX-2 Feed failures / mag issures

Postby economod » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:03 am

PROF59 wrote:... Decided to cut test short due to barely staying on paper at 50' ... and massive recoil.
... Mags seem to have very sharp inner edges of lips which gouge casing ... will try smoothing front lip of mags ...
... flattened primers and what looks like off center firing pin strike or casing moving while pin still engaged ...

Move closer to your target ... it's more of a 20' gun than a 50' gun.
To help manage recoil, I used GT-5000 Rubber Grip Tape (before the frame cracked).

Most new mag springs are very stiff, which exaggerates the effects of the sharp edges.
Leave the magazines filled with ten rounds for several days/years to help relax the set.
Smoothing the edges and polishing the feed ramp will help.

Slightly off center primer hits are typical.
Remove the barrel from the slide, and insert a cartridge into the chamber to assure proper fit.

Can't tell from your description how many rounds it's fired ... very few?
Remington UMC 115gr RN FMJ should cycle easily ... it's slightly shorter than most other bulk ammo. hth
2016 SCCY WOOD SHIMS > viewtopic.php?p=50025#p50025
9mm AMMO LENGTH > viewtopic.php?p=48248#p48248
CPX2 DESTROYED > viewtopic.php?p=51413#p51413
economod
Veteran Member

Postby PROF59 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:55 pm

Thanks for helpful suggestions economod. This range does not allow moving target closer unless sanctioned plate match (too many backstop misses!!). Will have my glasses next time or shoot outside, either way no problem.
I am relaxing the mag springs currently. Noticed when thumbing out the 7 rounds most presented nose down!! One mag had jammed follower and seemed to stick various positions, also was used according to rub marks on sides. I haven't loaded that one yet, maybe can exchange for NEW one.
Will hold off on polishing feed ramp until sure it is a keeper (polished my Interarms 1911 years past so no problem). The nick in bullet seems to have come from nose down exit from mag and hitting mag so stop at feed ramp.
Put the laserlyte on for point and shoot practice and see if it stays attached at range, will remove for EDC.
As to rounds fired, it is new. I have fired total of 10 rds various brands so far.
Later.
PROF59

Postby economod » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:26 pm

You may have already read this elsewhere, but it's worth repeating.
Sometimes the magazine springs get installed backwards.
So, ensure that the spring is pointing "nose-up" where it attaches to the follower.
2016 SCCY WOOD SHIMS > viewtopic.php?p=50025#p50025
9mm AMMO LENGTH > viewtopic.php?p=48248#p48248
CPX2 DESTROYED > viewtopic.php?p=51413#p51413
economod
Veteran Member

Postby PROF59 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:43 pm

Thanks again, but yes, I checked all 5 as part of clean/lube. Only 1 seemed to have very tilted follower which wanted to jam while moving. That was also the used one.
PROF59

Postby wrench459 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:13 pm

PROF59 wrote:...
Will hold off on polishing feed ramp until sure it is a keeper (polished my Interarms 1911 years past so no problem). The nick in bullet seems to have come from nose down exit from mag and hitting mag so stop at feed ramp.
Put the laserlyte on for point and shoot practice and see if it stays attached at range, will remove for EDC.
As to rounds fired, it is new. I have fired total of 10 rds various brands so far.
Later.

Your pistol will work better with a polished feed ramp. It only takes a few minutes to do.
Get some wwb 115 gr FMJ and shoot all 100 of them.
Then move on to hollow points or plated lead bullets.
Have fun.
wrench459
Veteran Member

Postby PROF59 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:20 pm

Thanks wrench, yes at this point I guess it's time for some polishing. Laserlyte did not shift POA in 10 rds and group was good so it shoots better than me currently. Seem to have some primer cratering but not serious yet. Later.
PROF59

Postby PROF59 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:01 pm

Finished first box WBB and last mag had couple FTFeed. Smacked slide and fired ok. While retracting slide to confirm empty noticed slide starts retracting MUCH easier. Take down at home shows recoil spring snarled. Called SCCY and they are sending new one and replacement for used mag with return label. Looks almost like washer on end belled out the larger spring which then hung up on smaller one. Seems to only affect first 1/4" or so of slide travel but will not fire gun (obviously) until parts arrive. Without recoil spring the force to start retracting slide/hammer is much less. Not sure if beveling end of ramp on slide will affect recoil/feeding and think it must be by design so will leave as is for now. Was starting to get predictable/reliable so still undecided on EDC.
PROF59

Postby tinkersdam » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:18 am

Today was my second day out with my CPX 2. My first day out yielded 150 rounds downrange w/o a hiccup using Federal bulk (red box) and Freedom Munitions both in 115gr FMJ roundnose (was noted in the range report discussion forum). Today I wanted to check out my home defense loads which are Remington Ultimate HD for pistol and revolver in 124 gr BJHP. Today was a different story. I ran both solitary and mixed loads in the mags with both the Freedom Munitions FMJ and the Remington Ultimate HD. The Remingtons FTL, jamming either just slightly out of the mag or 1/2 way up the ramp 50%+ of the time. The FMJ rounds fed well. Like PROF 59 mentioned, it appeared to me that the Remingtons may be being pinched by the sides of the top of the mag. Just to mention, though... the Remington HD rounds are brass cased with a nickel plating on them whereas the Freedom Munitions are plain brass cased. I don't know whether or not that plating was causing the feed problem OR if the fact that I did not clean/lightly oil the mags after the prior outing had contributed to the problem. However, I don't feel it should be necessary to clean mags after only 75 rounds per mag unless I'm going to store them for a while.

Because the top side edges of the mag are sharp and appear to be contributing to the feed issue, I'm going to lightly sand the sharp edges and then retest next week. It's already my practice to leave a touch of oil on the feed ramp after cleaning and there's no burrs on the ramp, so I'm hoping the mag edge smoothing will resolve the issue. Am putting this pistol on 'hold' as my CC pistol until it feeds hollow point HD loads 100%. Anything less is unacceptable.

UPDATE: See "Assymetrical Barrel" topic. SCCY service was contacted in late March, sent photos of the barrel with full explanation. SCCY resolved the issue.
tinkersdam

Return to Ammunition