Walmart White box 9mm

Forum for comments and questions regarding all ammunition types.

Walmart White box 9mm

Postby lashlaruhe » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:14 am

Anyone else have any issues of WW9mm White Box ammo from WalMart not extracting fired brass???

I have had failure to extract this ammo occaionally after 35 to 50 rounds. To me this is not a good thing. I am goin to get some other 9mm ammo and test.

Thanks for any replies
lashlaruhe

Re: Walmart White box 9mm

Postby GregT » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:49 am

Not my favorite ammo... but I have never had any problems with WWB.
GregT
Forum Regular

Postby Yeoman » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:45 pm

Winchester white box has been fine for me and it's the cheapest of the brass cased ammo I can get right now. The feed ramp and chamber needed a little polishing on my SCCY CPX-2 (I use a felt bob and mothers mag wheel polish) and I smoothed the spot on the feed lips of the magazine where the top round touches them using some 1000 grit sandpaper because they were so sharp they were scoring the brass. I just smoothed the sharp edge until it felt a tiny bit rounded over on the underside.

Normal break-in would have probably done the same job, but who wants to wait for that? I also think it's good to just hand-cycle rounds through to see if there are any hang-ups with a given magazine. Just make sure you do it with the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.
A man does evil enough if he does nothing good.
Yeoman

Postby getvicious » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:54 pm

No issues with WWB for me.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby economod » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:35 am

lashlaruhe wrote:Anyone else have any issues of WW9mm White Box ammo from WalMart not extracting fired brass???

I have had failure to extract this ammo occaionally after 35 to 50 rounds. To me this is not a good thing. I am goin to get some other 9mm ammo and test.

Thanks for any replies

FTExtract Winchester White Box (WWB) 9mm ammo is a persistent issue with some CPX, which has been substantiated for many years on this forum. The problem could be its sporadic extreme length, which causes the nose of the next round in the magazine to interfere with the extraction of a fired case still in the chamber. Test-fire some Remington UMC green box ... it's length is shorter by about .040", which may resolve that occasional issue with your particular pistol.

Understand that WWB is manufactured within SAAMI spec, but near the upper limit of overall length, and with relatively wide variance. Perhaps your particular sccy pistol was also assembled with such unmatched parts with relatively imprecise variances, that the result of accumulated error has contributed to its intermittent failures with longest-length ammo.

Also, number your magazines to help trace the cause. Perhaps one of the assorted recurring production flaws, such as a concave welded seam in the body of a magazine, or deformed feed lips, or backward spring, is contributing to the top round being presented too far forward in your pistols' action. hth
2016 SCCY WOOD SHIMS > viewtopic.php?p=50025#p50025
9mm AMMO LENGTH > viewtopic.php?p=48248#p48248
CPX2 DESTROYED > viewtopic.php?p=51413#p51413
economod
Veteran Member

Return to Ammunition