Galloway Precision, firing pin spring not fitting

Forum for the discussion of SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP pistol modifications, holsters, and other after-market items.

Galloway Precision, firing pin spring not fitting

Postby josht » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:22 pm

I haven't sent an email off to Galloway Precision about this yet. I'm be doing that next, but I wanted to see if I could get some feed back from fellow SCCY owners as well.

I've basically purchased all of the Galloway parts for my SCCY. First thing to be replaced was the trigger and it fits my finger much better than the stock shape did. Next I ordered the hammer spring kit and like the improvement in trigger pull, though I haven't fired it with the new spring yet to know if it's reliable enough to keep. Just got a 20lb recoil spring this week hope to test out it and the hammer spring this weekend.

If any of you have ordered the Galloway Hammer spring kit, you may be aware that it also comes with a repalcement firing pin spring to compliment the hammer spring. Well I finally tried to install the firing pin spring today before going to the range this weekend. It was too big to fit in the firing pin hole!

Original pin falls right into the hole no problem. Checked for burs around the opening of the hole and there were none. Tried to push it in a bit and it would go in a few coils, but no further, and would be too tight of a fit for it to "spring" should I be able to force it all the way in.

Any one else encountered this issue when trying to install these springs?

I'm going to try it this weekend with the old FP spring and see how it works. Hoping that it'll do fine and I won't need to worry about it.
josht

Re: Galloway Precision, firing pin spring not fitting

Postby adam3654` » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:56 pm

I recently installed the spring kit, and had the same result. The firing pin spring fit, but just barely. It seemed stiffer than the original spring when pushing on the firing pin so I pulled the Galloway spring to re-install the original. I had to use a small screw to thread into the spring to pull it from the hole. It took a few tries with the screw before getting it out.

I emailed Galloway, Brandyn replied within the hour and sent a replacement spring. It is currently in my mailbox, and I'll be installing it tonight. Hopefully tomorrow I can get out and make sure it still goes bang when I pull the trigger. I'll let you know how it goes.

I really like the feel of the trigger with the reduced power spring, hopefully it will work out.

-Adam
adam3654`

Postby adam3654` » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:45 pm

Update...

The new spring that Galloway sent was identical to the first one. It didn't fit... Sccy must have revised their design since the spring kits were put together. The spring from Galloway was slightly larger (.002" or so) than the diameter of the opening for the firing pin.

I ended up cutting down the factory pin spring to the same length as the Galloway one, and filed the cut end smooth. I have an indoor range a few miles away, so I went and put a hundred rounds or so through the gun. Zero problems. I'm happy as a pig in shit right now. I was worried it wouldn't fire and I'd be S.O.L. without a replacement spring.

Also, if you haven't done it already, mirror polish the feed ramp, and also the inside edges of the magazine lips. My gun out of the box was having trouble feeding, and those steps fixed it up nicely.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
adam3654`

Postby josht » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:10 am

Adam, thanks for the reply. Sounds like you had same experience I did, with both the kit and the company. Emailed Galloway Precision just after posting this and early the next morning Brandyn replied saying that he was sending a replacement. The replacement won't arrive until next week, but I expect the same result that you got.

I tried to put a little pressure on the replacement pin putting it in, only went a couple coils into the hole and stopped. Too tight for me to even attempt to make it fit. Dropped the factory spring back in the hole for the time being. Don't think I'm going to modify the stock spring.

Was concerned about it igniting primers, so I shot it a bit when I went to the hunting club yesterday. About 40 rounds of Winchester White Box and Fiocchi FMJ without a flaw. Between the two I think if I were going to have any light strike issues, they would have shown.

I did figure out that Fiocchi is not a good match for me and this pistol, runs a little too hot for my liking. Shame since I've got most of a 1000 round case of the stuff. That sucks, guess I'll have to get another 9mm to shoot that stuff up with. I was kinda thinking about getting a full size for range shooting anyway, or maybe a pistol caliber carbine.....
josht

Postby adam3654` » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:09 pm

Josh,

That's a perfect reason for another 9mm. I've been running winchester white box fmj, and federal hollow points. Both run great. I replied to Brandyn after receiving the new spring and included some measurements. Hopefully they can figure out the spring issue, as I see this becoming a recurring problem for them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
adam3654`

Postby GallowayPrecision » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:28 am

Yeah we're going to just completely ditch the firing pin spring altogether and just sell the hammer spring now at a lower price. We just got a brand new production CPX-2 in for our new Badger trigger install, and it was completely different from any of the others that we have seen. I would imagine with the CPX-3 out they're just going to use that return spring in all the models to cut down on cost.
GallowayPrecision

Return to SCCY CPX-1, CPX-2, & CPX-3 Accessories