safety modification

Forum for the discussion of SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP pistol modifications, holsters, and other after-market items.

safety modification

Postby CPX_In_WA » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:52 pm

The first two trips to the range, my thumb got eaten up by the safety when it was in the Fire position.  Somehow my grip on the gun put the safety into contact with the side of my thumb between the knuckle and base.  The end result was a double problem.  My thumb got chewed up and the safety would get slightly engaged about every other shot.  The only solution seemed to be grabbing the gun lower, but that went against all the training I have had to grab the gun as high as possible.  The solution (maybe) involved removing the left side safety lever and applying some fine-grit sandpaper.  The reason why I say maybe for the solution is I haven't been able to test it yet.  Last night as I was working on it, I loaded a high-quality snapcap with a brass primer that floats on an internal spring.  I did some dry fire practice seeing if I could feel the safety or not as I removed bits.  When I got it how I wanted it, I went to bed.  When I took it out to shoot it today, all I got were clicks, no bangs.  The firing pin broke while doing dry-fire with a high-quality snapcap.  

In any case, you can see the modification below.  The first shot is a straight-on shot of the safety.  You can see the underside looks a little different than the top.  The second picture really shows the modification because the flash hit the sanded surface well.  In real life, you can barely the different surfaces, but you can feel the difference.  The safety now is sloped up from the frame in a smooth manner so even if my thumb hits it, it won't cut my thumb and my thumb shouldn't engage it.  It seems to be a little harder to engage the safety now when reholstering, but it is still doable.
Attachments
Safety Mod 2.JPG
Safety with lower portion profile changed
Safety Mod 2.JPG (198.73 KiB) Viewed 13119 times
saftey mod 1.JPG
saftey mod 1.JPG (96.46 KiB) Viewed 13119 times
CPX_In_WA

Postby marinegrunt » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:19 pm

exactly how did you do it after over 300 rds my thumb still hasn't healed
"When they come for my guns, I will Pry Their guns from Their cold dead fingers"
marinegrunt

Postby XDDan » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:58 am

Please let us know if this worked as soon as you get back from testing!  I havent even shot mine yet and I KNOW that this will be a problem from the looks of things.  

I will be wearing a set of my Mechanix gloves to shoot mine at first because I don't want to tear my hand up. I may even remove the safety alltogether for range trips but I'm frightened I'll lose it. :D

Let us know!
XDDan

Postby skyy-pilot » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:20 am

Frames cracking firing pins breaking. Starting to scare me. I just might be looking for another gun if these reports keep coming in lke this
Im going to keep an eye on mine and see. But I dont know.  

skyy-pilot
To ride shoot straight and speak the truth
skyy-pilot
Forum Regular

Postby Rock and Glock » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:05 pm

Skyy Pilot:  Roger on that!
Rock and Glock

"Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to authority is not using his intelligence; he is just using his memory."  Leonardo da Vinci
Rock and Glock
Veteran Member

Good news from Skyy

Postby CPX_In_WA » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:43 pm

RE: firing pins breaking -  Seems like this is a known issue and Skyy is taking care of it.  They are fixing me up with the newly redesigned pin which just arrived at thier factory yesterday.  They are also sending a spare, plus a few other spare parts just in case I need them.  I had this exact same problem with my Wilkinson 9mm carbine.  The original firing pin had a very limited life and somewhere in the manufacturing process they switched to a new metal/finish/something that made it much tougher.  The new one has seen a few years of service without problem.  I expect the Skyy to be the same.  The Skyy guy said he had done over 3,000 dry fires on the new pin and then it fired just fine.  Good news.

As for the safety, I thought about removing it, but it doesn seem like a good idea.  If you remove just the lever, there isn't anything keeping the safety in place because the tension for keeping the safet in one position or the other comes from a spring resting underneath the plastic lever.  I can't say for sure, but it seems like doing any sort of mod to remove the lever or the pin that goes through might be a bad idea because the gun wasn't designed with that in mind.

The modification was as easy as taking off the screw that holds the lever in place, running the lever over a piece of 220 grit sand paper, and putting it back on.  Took about 30 minutes because I kept doing just a little, then checking it.  I want to dress it up a little more with a finer grit when I get it back.  I can't say for sure that it worked, but it felt better holding it.  I should know on Saturday.

I know everyone has concerns about the gun, but we are on the bleeding edge with this one.  If you want a super-prove platform, go buy a glock.  They always work and have been around long enough to have all the kinks worked out.  I have confidence in the Skyy and I think that eventually it will be a solid manufacturer with a solid reputation and the gun will reflect that.  In the mean time, the guys in customer service are more than happy to work with me on these issues and they are dedicated to getting it right.  The most interesting thing is how good they are about fixing existing customers.  If they continue with the service I have gotten up till now, I am sure they will do well.
CPX_In_WA

Got the gun back

Postby CPX_In_WA » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:17 pm

I got the gun back today about 4:00.  Signed for it, went in, got the safety glass, ear muffs, and ammo, and walked around to the range.  The safety is vastly improved.  The lower profile saved my thumb most of the beating it was receiving before and the number of times I accidentally nudged the safety were much lower.

That said, I am going to take a little more off and try again.  The range testing definitely confirmed that the safety modifcation was the right way to go, now I just need to do a little more of it.  I'll post some more pics when I am done and satisfied it is working properly.  Incidentally, I was still able to draw the weapon and take the safety off in one smooth motion.  I think my time to clear the plates on the plate rack is about 20% more than with my Hi-Power, which is IMHO, pretty good considering the DAO trigger and much smaller frame.
CPX_In_WA

Postby lee65 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:57 pm

I just bought a Skyy CPX-1 and I am having the same problem with the safety engaging. Could you please let me know if sanding the safety Permanently fixed the problem. From the picture it appears that you rounded the bottom of the safety off, is that correct. Thanks
lee65

Results

Postby CPX_In_WA » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:19 pm

lee65 wrote:I just bought a Skyy CPX-1 and I am having the same problem with the safety engaging. Could you please let me know if sanding the safety Permanently fixed the problem. From the picture it appears that you rounded the bottom of the safety off, is that correct. Thanks

Yes, Lee, the sanding does appear to have fixed the issue.  I made the saftey taper so it is almost flush with the pistol at the bottom.  I would not describe it as rounding off because it is almost the opposite.  The technique I used was to sand the safety at about 45 degrees relative to what would be verticle if the safety were installed on the gun and held normally.  I held it at this angle and ran it over some sand paper until the corner was sharper and the lower edge much thinner.

Hope that helps.
CPX_In_WA

Postby lee65 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:42 pm

Sanding the safety down in the same manner you did seems to have solved the problem, but i need to visit the range again to make sure its fixed. Thanks for the help and the pictures.
lee65

safety

Postby revlegmonkey » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:27 pm

if u put the gun in safe position.loosen the screw slightly, hyperextend the lever slightly, retighten the screw. the gun will fire in the safe position all day long.
revlegmonkey

Postby Hawthorne2k » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:28 pm

I've done this and it's helped with both issues. Has anyone Dremel-ed the safety lever down to a more managable and less-intrusive size rather than just sanding one edge?
Todo lo puedo en Cristo que me fortalace.
- Fil. 4:13
www.exurbanleague.com
Hawthorne2k
Seasoned Member

Postby spoolinitup33 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:04 am

There's no way taking that little off helped. I got my sccy today, traded my smith and wesson sw9ve for it because I didn't like the S&W at all. I'm starting to wonder if I should have just kept the smith. I shot five rounds through the Sccy. After every shot the safety went on. Before it loaded the last shell in, the slide stayed cocked back. I have fixed the safety problem after sitting here messing with it for an hour or so. I sanded it down a lot, and that didn't seem to help much. I ended up talking the safety assembly off, then taking out the keeper ( I guess you could call it that, the small bronze part with the spring on it) and I took a single strand off of a piece of #10 gauge copper wire, cutting it about the length of that spring, and stuck it down through the middle of the spring. Then I made the hole where the safety button is in the fire position a little bit deeper with my knife. This makes it where you can have it on safety and it could be loaded and not fire, but when you put it in the fire position, it won't come out of that position unless you loosen up the screw, take the left safety part off and move it back up to the "safe" position. Putting the strand of copper wire in just made it where the keeper wouldn't go in as far as it normally would. I'm going to shoot about 50 rounds through it tommorow and see if it jams up or anything, if it does, it's going back to where I got it. I sanded on the clip a little bit, on the plastic part that you can see at the top if theres no shells in it, I'm thinking that may help the slide not to stay back before the last bullet goes in.
spoolinitup33

Postby spoolinitup33 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:12 am

On second thought, I'm taking the piece of copper that I put in back out, and taking the gun back. I don't buy guns to have them not work like they are supposed to. I have a Taurus 9mm that was made in the early 90's and I've put over 3,000 rounds through it. It hasn't jammed ONCE. Looks like I'm getting the kel tec
spoolinitup33

Postby ronlog » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:43 pm

The KT is not designed for thousands of rounds either. Guns that are cost quite a bit more.
The second amendment is our first defense.
ronlog
Topic Moderator

Next

Return to SCCY CPX-1, CPX-2, & CPX-3 Accessories