safety modification

Forum for the discussion of SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP pistol modifications, holsters, and other after-market items.

Postby spoolinitup33 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:58 pm

Yeah well at least I know when I pull the trigger on the Kel Tec p-11 that I got it will go bang, and do it until it runs out of bullets and I know that it won't go on safety every time I pull the trigger. Everyone knows that Sccy's are junk. Maybe you just happened to get one that some how messed up on the assembly line and got made right, cause I know for a FACT that these guns are shit.
spoolinitup33

Postby ronlog » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:18 pm

Actually, most are pleased with their CPX-1. I'm not happy with my S&W 22A. It doesn't mean all S&W guns are bad.
The second amendment is our first defense.
ronlog
Topic Moderator

Postby ushire » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:48 pm

That's odd. I am more than happy with my CPX-1 also. I guess mine is 'messed up' too!
Pistol Packin' Preacher
ushire

wrong forum

Postby tbram88 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:50 pm

spoolinitup33 wrote:Yeah well at least I know when I pull the trigger on the Kel Tec p-11 that I got it will go bang, and do it until it runs out of bullets and I know that it won't go on safety every time I pull the trigger. Everyone knows that Sccy's are junk. Maybe you just happened to get one that some how messed up on the assembly line and got made right, cause I know for a FACT that these guns are shit.

My SCCY works fine and I carry it daily, sounds like you're in the wrong forum maybe you should tell Kel Tec how much you like their product.
Instead of trying to convince us not to like ours.

All the best...Bob.
tbram88

New Guy

Postby charmin » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 pm

----------I just bought a CPX 1 with just a few rounds threw it. The reason I bought it was the size and looks. I think it is one of the best looking guns out there. I am a Glock person, and CC one all the time. I do not entend to carry this CPX1 after all the negative info I am getting on it.
                  Can anyone tell me if there has been any recalls on the gun that I own. Serial # 01003-. And how old it is ? Thanks

Carmen
Dear Lord, please let me live long enough to be envolved in the next peacefull revolution in our country, if not, let me be reincarnated as GEN. GEORGE PATTON.
charmin

Re: New Guy

Postby DrRadar » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:15 pm

charmin wrote:----------I just bought a CPX 1 with just a few rounds threw it. The reason I bought it was the size and looks. I think it is one of the best looking guns out there. I am a Glock person, and CC one all the time. I do not entend to carry this CPX1 after all the negative info I am getting on it.
                  Can anyone tell me if there has been any recalls on the gun that I own. Serial # 01003-. And how old it is ? Thanks

Carmen

Actually I thought the same until I put over 400 rounds through it of varying ammo from Monarch (serbian) to Federal and WWB and 1 box of Hornady Critical Defense.
The little SCCY CPX-1 has been reliable enough that I use it as a carry weapon (sidearm) along with my LCP (bug).

Shoot the crap out of it before you make a determination.

I always shoot the crap out of a weapon BEFORE I carry it for SD.

Note SN: 23xxx
DrRadar

Re: New Guy

Postby charmin » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:36 am

DrRadar wrote:
charmin wrote:----------I just bought a CPX 1 with just a few rounds threw it. The reason I bought it was the size and looks. I think it is one of the best looking guns out there. I am a Glock person, and CC one all the time. I do not entend to carry this CPX1 after all the negative info I am getting on it.

Carmen

Actually I thought the same until I put over 400 rounds through it of varying ammo from Monarch (serbian) to Federal and WWB and 1 box of Hornady Critical Defense.
The little SCCY CPX-1 has been reliable enough that I use it as a carry weapon (sidearm) along with my LCP (bug).

Shoot the crap out of it before you make a determination.

I always shoot the crap out of a weapon BEFORE I carry it for SD.

Note SN: 23xxx

-----Took my CPX 1 to the range again yesterday. It was almost flawless. With good ammo it was good to go. Fired some Blazer Alum Case and it hand one FE. I like this gun more and more. Have there been any recalls ?????
Dear Lord, please let me live long enough to be envolved in the next peacefull revolution in our country, if not, let me be reincarnated as GEN. GEORGE PATTON.
charmin

Postby HootmonSccy » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:17 am

As far as I know / read there are no "Recalls".
There is a Safety Modification "fix" kit. If you call Sccy they will send the kit to you for free..
The install is quick and easy (Find the thread on this forum) and really does "improve" the safety
- I'm not convinced it "fixes" the safety, but I haven't shot my pistol again since the install.
Other than the "Safety" Issue, I am very happy with my Skyy.
I am also very happy with Sccy - Every time I've called them, they have been very good to work with..

So, if you love a P11, then as suggested, go find the Kel Tec forum, or something.. I held both guns and preferrred the Sccy! I'm happy with my choice, especially for the $$$..
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Postby wraith » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:31 am

HootmonSccy wrote:As far as I know / read there are no "Recalls".
There is a Safety Modification "fix" kit. If you call Sccy they will send the kit to you for free..
The install is quick and easy (Find the thread on this forum) and really does "improve" the safety
- I'm not convinced it "fixes" the safety, but I haven't shot my pistol again since the install.
Other than the "Safety" Issue, I am very happy with my Skyy.
I am also very happy with Sccy - Every time I've called them, they have been very good to work with..

So, if you love a P11, then as suggested, go find the Kel Tec forum, or something.. I held both guns and preferrred the Sccy! I'm happy with my choice, especially for the $$$..

It does not fix the safety issue, just makes it less likely to be bumped on. I thought it fixed mine for a while, but after a few clips, I began having the issue again, just not with every shot, only a couple of times each clip. Either place your thumb on top of the safety to keep it in the fire position, use the safety deleting kit, or do like many others have done on here and trim the safety lever until you don't contact it during recoil. I haven't done anything to mine yet, but placing your thumb on top of the lever will make it sore during an extended session.
wraith

Re: safety modification

Postby Pistol-Packin-Papa » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:45 pm

I posted this a few years back but since I did this little bit of "peripheral modification", I have put over 1100 flawless rounds (mostly double taps) through my CPX-1 and never even so much as a hiccup. Here are some better pictures that show the change. The safety functions and is easy to turn of if used. I highly recommend this mod. :)
PPP

CPX 1.JPG

CPX 2.JPG

CPX 3.JPG

Past post:

I also had a problem with actuating the safety with my thumb during recoil. Small grip, decent recoil, thumb riding up and turning on the safety. Irritating to say the least.
I came home that night and decided that if I could not live with it.... amputate it.... but this only applies to firearms people. Here is my solution.
I did not want to cripple the benefit of a safety because even if I choose to not use it, I want it there in case I have need of it when teaching someone else to shoot or to ensure safer handling at the range.
This being the case, I came up with a good idea that still enables me to use the safety but gives me clearance while firing the CPX-1. I guess you could call this a mod but this requires no paper clips or chance of harming the safety usage in case a working safety is required by law where you live. Basically, just whack off 1/2 of the length of the safety lever using diagonal cutters and sand the rough edges with sand paper.
1) Remove the left-side safety lever screw and carefully remove the lever.
2) Using diagonal cutters lop off about 1/2 the lever so that when replaced onto the safety lever shaft, you can see the entire "F" in the word FIRE. This gives you plenty of clearance for your thumb when firing.
3) Sand down the rough edges of the lever left so there is no discomfort when flipping the lever down to the fire position. This moves the contact point of the safety to closer to that of a 1911 or SR9 safety.
4) Simply replace the lever when sanded and smoothed to your liking taking care not to back-out the right side lever and safety shaft.
This makes the shooting much more comfortable and gives clearance during recoil and the safety lever no longer extends far enough down to be accidentally bumped on during recoil.
Granted I have small hands but even when I deliberately held a very high grip, I did not even touch the shortened safety lever.

Shoot well,
PPP
A very wise man once told me... "Never bring a knife to a gunfight, bring a gun or a casket... your choice."

PPP
Sccy (Skyy) CPX-1 1st Gen. SN 002344
An oldie but a goodie...
Pistol-Packin-Papa
Forum Regular

Postby h2otoo » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:59 pm

Neat job. Good to know some folks are happy with their Gen 1's.

Bob
h2otoo
Veteran Member

Postby sccytoter » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:14 pm

Wow. Good job on that safety! Looks like it came from the factory like that.
Semper Fi Mac!
sccytoter
Veteran Member

Postby AZSccy » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:12 pm

My girl had the same problem with the safety engaging when we went shooting awhile back so I ordered them Adamsgrips grip extension and it makes a big difference. u can still hold it high but since your hand fits the gun better its easier to avoid the safety. I don't know maybe its just me but it works better like that. I have big hands and I've never accidentally hit the safety while firing but I have a 2nd gen if that makes a difference. They look the same from the pics but I'm not sure.
AZSccy

Postby snake eater » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:42 pm

if you have a CPX-1 call sccy give your serial number they'll send you a free replacement
B co. 2/503 inf. 101 st. airborne.
snake eater

Previous

Return to SCCY CPX-1, CPX-2, & CPX-3 Accessories