Holster list

Forum for the discussion of SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP pistol modifications, holsters, and other after-market items.

Re: Holster list

Postby Coastie » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:28 am

Pointman10 wrote:Another hybrid option specific to the CPX-1 & CPX-2 is Foxx holsters. ...


I have been using the Foxx OWB Hybrid Holster http://foxxholsters.onlybusiness.com/On ... id_Holster for about two weeks. I am very satisfied with it. Much prefer it to stuffing my CPX-2 and holster in my pants like before.I carry under a T shirt. The leather at the top of the holster keeps the metal portion of my pistol off my skin. Only the grip (with Traction Grips) can touch my skin. Sometimes riding my motorcycle I have to touch the pistol to check if it is still there because it is so comfortable.
Attachments
owb ff.jpg
owb ff.jpg (8.36 KiB) Viewed 2976 times
User avatar
Coastie
New Member
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:24 am
Location: Loudon County, East Tennessee

Re: Holster list

Postby mikemc53 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:02 pm

Now, take what I say with a grain of salt - I am very new to this and have no experience except with what I currently own.

I use the Ace Case IWB (right hand) worn between 4:00 and 5:00 and it is a darn near perfect fit. Coming from me that says something, as I fully expected many issues for a few reasons. I am small (5'5" and about a buck thirty five) and I tend to be kind of particular with clothes and their fit. I have worn the set-up for full days and performed regular duties - cutting wood, cleaning the basement, sitting around on the computer and watching TV - and it is actually quite comfortable. This is a bit of a surprise to me, especially since the first day saw me wear it for about two hours and never get comfortable.

I actually bought a left and right hand and tried them both (in the same spot but, obviously, one faced opposite) with the left hand being slightly more comfortable but it just was not a good pull. Once I made a couple of minor adjustments the right hand feels great.

We'll see how things go from here but so far so good. Now I'm looking for an affordable OWB for wearing around the yard during warmer weather work.

Later gang.
SCCY-cpx2
Only one gun...at this time
mikemc53
New Member
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:13 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Holster list

Postby dlb » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:58 pm

wrearick wrote:Okay,
Here is what I came up with as a holster for Open Carry. I really was concerned about weapon retention. I purchased a Blackhawk Serpa Concealment holster. Comes with both the belt clip and a padle attachement and the tilt of the gun can be adjusted to suit preference. I chose the H&K USP Compact model as it fit the best. The trigger guard securly locks in to the holster and will not come out no matter how hard I pull.
IMG_20130407_231749.jpg

However, the gun was a little loose from side to side and could pivot fore and aft around the trigger guard. My wife (know in some circles as Mrs. McGiver) suggested cutting some leather pieces from an old belt and epoxy them in to make a more secure grip. I ended up putting in 5 pieces of leather (marked with red dots). one on each side of the rear of the slide, one beneath the bottom of the trigger guard, and two up near the barrel of the weapon.
IMG_20130407_231813 mod.JPG


There are no issues in drawing or reholstering the weapon and I can run/jump etc. without my SCCY moving except when I want it to. :D
IMG_20130407_231902mod.jpg



I too seem to like this holster - but here is my question...

After your adaptation, have you checked clearance inside the trigger guard - my question really is: are we sure that the piece that goes into the guard that provides the retention is not coming into contact with the trigger itself, based on comparison of the size/dimensions of the protrusion to the size of the space between the guard and the trigger?

I have no idea if this is a potential issue or not, but figured I'd ask.

Also - while you state OPEN carry - how concealable do you think it would be under an untucked t shirt, polo shirt, or button down sport shirt?
=================
Dave
Volusia Co. FL

current:
CPX-2 Black

previous:
Beretta 92-FS
Walther PPK-S
dlb
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:06 am

Re: Holster list

Postby wrearick » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:31 pm

dlb wrote:
I too seem to like this holster - but here is my question...

After your adaptation, have you checked clearance inside the trigger guard - my question really is: are we sure that the piece that goes into the guard that provides the retention is not coming into contact with the trigger itself, based on comparison of the size/dimensions of the protrusion to the size of the space between the guard and the trigger?

I have no idea if this is a potential issue or not, but figured I'd ask.

Also - while you state OPEN carry - how concealable do you think it would be under an untucked t shirt, polo shirt, or button down sport shirt?


I understand how difficult it is to see what was done from the photo. Look for flat pieces of leather from a belt about 3/8 of an inch wide and 3-4 inches in length. Two of them touch the gun on either side of the slide itself. Another two are located up near the front sight but don't normally touch at all. They do prevent the barrel area of the gun from having too much room to rock in the holster (gun pivoting around the connection at the trigger guard. The final piece fills in the gap between the bottom of the holster and the underside of the trigger guard, again preventing excessive motion or "rocking".

Picture grasping the lower front corner of the trigger guard between your thumb and forefinger on your left hand. Now with your right hand grasp the grip and move the gun up or down in an arc where your left hand is a pivot point. 3 out of the 5 pieces limit the space above the barrel or below the trigger guard to close the gap before the motion would be stoped by the kydex of the holster. None of the pieces intrude on the trigger guard or even come close. Just took some more pictures. one shows the air gap that still exists on either side of the trigger guard. The red area is where the piece of belt is glued in.
trigger guard insert.jpg

The other photo circles the two "slide snubbers" You are looking at them edge on. This prevents side toside motion in the holster.
slide snuggers.jpg


All in all the holster is not much longer than the gun so it would/could conceal beneath a shirt without too much problem. The biggest issue will be how far out from the side of the body it protrucs - it will probably show as a bulge. In my case I have a number of natural bulges so it might not stand out :lol:
User avatar
wrearick
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 251
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:33 pm

Re: Holster list

Postby dlb » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:26 am

Right, thanks - I understand exactly what you did with the leather. (how thick was the leather you used, like dress belt thick or like gun belt thick?

However I was referring specifically to the piece of plastic on the holster itself that grabs the trigger guard for retention - since it was made for the size/shape/and location of a different trigger and trigger guard (H&K), I was wondering if there was any clearance issue to the SCCY trigger itself for that retention device.

Thanks!!
=================
Dave
Volusia Co. FL

current:
CPX-2 Black

previous:
Beretta 92-FS
Walther PPK-S
dlb
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:06 am

Re: Holster list

Postby wrearick » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:30 pm

dlb wrote:Right, thanks - I understand exactly what you did with the leather. (how thick was the leather you used, like dress belt thick or like gun belt thick?

However I was referring specifically to the piece of plastic on the holster itself that grabs the trigger guard for retention - since it was made for the size/shape/and location of a different trigger and trigger guard (H&K), I was wondering if there was any clearance issue to the SCCY trigger itself for that retention device.

Thanks!!


used an old dress belt.

kind of hard to see the actual retention device. It "appears" to just grab the front edge of the guard like it would on the H&K it was designed for. The shape of the two trigger guards must be close enough that it works. There were other "models" that would not grasp the trigger guard firmly. Luckily, the LGS I frequent let's you open the packages and try them out without any hassle.
User avatar
wrearick
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 251
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:33 pm

Re: Holster list

Postby dlb » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:51 pm

OK - appreciate the quick answers - I may go take a look at one myself.
=================
Dave
Volusia Co. FL

current:
CPX-2 Black

previous:
Beretta 92-FS
Walther PPK-S
dlb
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:06 am

Re: Holster list

Postby mark7mod0 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:21 pm

Just discovered the Nano holster I ordered from Beretta is also a perfect fit for the CPX1 I have.
mark7mod0
Seasoned Member
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:42 pm
Location: Wayne Co, New York

Re: Holster list

Postby Stratojaxter » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:46 am

mark7mod0 wrote:Just discovered the Nano holster I ordered from Beretta is also a perfect fit for the CPX1 I have.


Cool! Which one did you order?
The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development... It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory.
-Jeff Cooper
Stratojaxter
Seasoned Member
 
Posts: 191
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:32 am

Re: Holster list

Postby mark7mod0 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:12 am

]
Stratojaxter wrote:
mark7mod0 wrote:Just discovered the Nano holster I ordered from Beretta is also a perfect fit for the CPX1 I have.


Cool! Which one did you order?


I got the Beretta BU Nano Hybrid Holster IWB. Cost more than the non Beretta holsters, but it is so comfortable.
mark7mod0
Seasoned Member
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:42 pm
Location: Wayne Co, New York

Re: Holster list

Postby amiyy4u » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:01 pm

wrearick wrote:
dlb wrote:Right, thanks - I understand exactly what you did with the leather. (how thick was the leather you used, like dress belt thick or like gun belt thick?

However I was referring specifically to the piece of plastic on the holster itself that grabs the trigger guard for retention - since it was made for the size/shape/and location of a different trigger and trigger guard (H&K), I was wondering if there was any clearance issue to the SCCY trigger itself for that retention device.

Thanks!!


used an old dress belt.

kind of hard to see the actual retention device. It "appears" to just grab the front edge of the guard like it would on the H&K it was designed for. The shape of the two trigger guards must be close enough that it works. There were other "models" that would not grasp the trigger guard firmly. Luckily, the LGS I frequent let's you open the packages and try them out without any hassle.


I bought this Blackhawk holster based on this review, but the retention device doesn't hold very well on my CPX-2. A little bit of wiggle and the retention releases and I can pull the gun right out of the holster. If I hold the retention with my finger the gun stays secure and will not come loose. I have not modified with leather yet, but will do so soon and post my findings. The leather add-ins may prove to be the solution, but I suspect that I may need an additional piece of leather to force the gun toward the retention device.

I must say that the holster is very nice and comfortable. I adjusted the angle with the screws on the back and there are many choices to be made.
amiyy4u
New Member
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:50 pm

Re: Holster list

Postby wrearick » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:39 am

You may have a weak retention spring. I didn't purchase the model I did until I found one that I could not pull my SCCY out of. Wiggle was okay but not pulling lose. Since I have made the mods I have had one occasion where the gun came loose and that was while it was one me, pushing hard from the 6 o'clack position with the force being applied parralell to the floor (from behind, straight through my body like iw was being shoved) - not exactly the motion someone trying to take the weapon with out my permission would use. You may be able to tighten up the grip alittle with an adjustment of the single screw located forward of the release bar. There are directions in the package. It doesn't take much. Let us know if that works.
User avatar
wrearick
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 251
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:33 pm

Re: Holster list

Postby amiyy4u » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:31 am

wrearick wrote:You may have a weak retention spring. I didn't purchase the model I did until I found one that I could not pull my SCCY out of. Wiggle was okay but not pulling lose. Since I have made the mods I have had one occasion where the gun came loose and that was while it was one me, pushing hard from the 6 o'clack position with the force being applied parralell to the floor (from behind, straight through my body like iw was being shoved) - not exactly the motion someone trying to take the weapon with out my permission would use. You may be able to tighten up the grip alittle with an adjustment of the single screw located forward of the release bar. There are directions in the package. It doesn't take much. Let us know if that works.


I took a look at this screw again because I did tighten this pretty far when I first got the holster. I didn't want to over tighten for fear I would hurt the holster, but I ended up cranking it down even further. The holster now holds the gun without it coming loose. Thanks for the advice.

Something to note...I am left handed and the magazine release button is real close to the plastic molding of the holster and a couple times when putting the gun in to the holster the plastic caught the release button and ejected the magazine. I am going to grind down the plastic a little bit to avoid this from repeating. It won't take much to solve this problem.

Overall, I am very satisfied with this holster and set up. It works great. I haven't added any leather strips yet either and the wiggle in the holster isn't really that bad.
amiyy4u
New Member
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:50 pm

Re: Holster list

Postby wrearick » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:07 pm

Glad to hear it worked. I too find the holster very comfortable in all positions. I have to adjust the seatbelt buckle a little when I am in the car but other than that it is comfortable in all positions.
User avatar
wrearick
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 251
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:33 pm

Re: Holster list

Postby Notlad » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:30 am

Coastie wrote:
Pointman10 wrote:Another hybrid option specific to the CPX-1 & CPX-2 is Foxx holsters. ...


I have been using the Foxx OWB Hybrid Holster http://foxxholsters.onlybusiness.com/On ... id_Holster for about two weeks. I am very satisfied with it. Much prefer it to stuffing my CPX-2 and holster in my pants like before.I carry under a T shirt. The leather at the top of the holster keeps the metal portion of my pistol off my skin. Only the grip (with Traction Grips) can touch my skin. Sometimes riding my motorcycle I have to touch the pistol to check if it is still there because it is so comfortable.



Did you get the one for the P11 or the Nano?
Notlad
New Member
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:10 am

PreviousNext

Return to SCCY CPX-1, CPX-2, & CPX-3 Accessories

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Join Florida Carry