Finger grooves... too small!

Forum for the discussion of SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP pistol modifications, holsters, and other after-market items.

Finger grooves... too small!

Postby jedijay » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:12 pm

Hey guys, so I love my cpx2 only problem the finger grooves are too small for my large fingers. My fingers fall on top of the finger grooves making my grip uncomfortable? So I want to bounce this idea off you guys before I actually follow through and do this.

I plan to file down the protruding plastic on the grip forming the middle two finger grooves, then maybe putting on a Houge Handall Jr.

Thoughts?

Do you foresee any potential problems filing down the plastic on the grip?

I can't be the only guy out there with fat fingers. How have you overcome the awkward feeling grip?

Thanks, I look forward to reading your responses.
jedijay

Re: Finger grooves... too small!

Postby HootmonSccy » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:35 pm

Several have filed down the bumps on the front of the grip before, there has been no issues.. It is solid polymer, there are no air pockets..
File away, just remember, it's difficult to add back what you have removed..
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Postby SouthernAngler » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:20 am

Your plan sounds good just remember go slow, you can always take off additional if necessary.

Another idea may be to try out the grips on some guns of similar style at the gun store just to get an idea of what your trying to achieve, when you find one you like duplicate that to your SCCY.
SouthernAngler
Forum Regular

Postby getvicious » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:28 am

jedijay - Howdy and welcome from NC. I seem to remember someone else sanding the high points off their grip and even the back strap too - and posting pictures. You might search for those posts.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby jedijay » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:42 pm

Thank you, for the feedback... Pictures to come
jedijay

Postby jedijay » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:49 am

Well I am very pleased to say the least. My CPX-2 is now super comfortable. I had zero problems. Used the file to take off the most of the plastic, and the emery paper for finishing touches. The Houge Handall Jr. rubber grip fit perfectly with no trimming. It clears the mag release and base plate perfectly. Honestly, IMO it looks great the texturing lines of the new grip almost match perfectly with that of the original on the grip and it completely covered the so called recoil holes in the backside of the original grip, which I did not care for. The rubber grip did also come with a finger groove that would have again been too small for my big fingers so I put it on upside down. The grip cost like $10 from amazon. Hope this helps you guys out there with big hands/fingers.

jedijay

Postby HootmonSccy » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:46 pm

Good Job.. Looks great.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Postby getvicious » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:08 pm

Very nice. Your modified CPX looks great. And turning the grip sleeve upside down - that was inspired.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby jax gunslinger » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:32 am

Awesome job! I never cared for the factor fingered grips either. The rubber grip sleeve helps you to hold the gun tighter and reduces a lot of the recoil. Sccy should make a non-fingered version with an accessory rail, and sell it as an option.
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson ***PERMANENTLY BANNED MEMBER OF THE HPFF**
jax gunslinger
Veteran Member

Postby madmax » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:34 am

jax gunslinger wrote:Awesome job! I never cared for the factor fingered grips either. The rubber grip sleeve helps you to hold the gun tighter and reduces a lot of the recoil. Sccy should make a non-fingered version with an accessory rail, and sell it as an option.

That would be great, I like the idea of an accessory rail and I can give or take on the finger groves.
Max
USCG Ret.
madmax
Veteran Member

Postby HAMBONE » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:04 am

Looks good! How did you get the mag base to seat flush like that? Or is the mag empty
HAMBONE
Veteran Member

Postby GoesBang » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:15 pm

It's the old style base.
SCCY CPX-2-CB s/n 085x (Born on 4/25/13) Receiver replaced 3/14 s/n 129x
Ruger P95PR
Henry Golden Boy H004
Kel-Tec P11/P40
RIA 1911 Tactical FS 45 ACP
RIA M206 38 Special 2"

USMC 1976-79 3rd MAW Camp Pendleton, CA
HTTP://www.X-CalibearUSA.com
GoesBang
Veteran Member

Postby HAMBONE » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:07 pm

I have several old and new bases. Maybe I'll try the old ones again
HAMBONE
Veteran Member

Postby HAMBONE » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:23 pm

just looked at your pic closer, your front frame pin is walking out.
HAMBONE
Veteran Member

Postby getvicious » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:59 pm

I have the older style mag base plates. They needed a good smack to seat them properly in the pistol and latch like they should. I sanded (filed actually) the top of the plates a bit and now they click into place really gently when inserted into the grip, and fit perfectly. Took about 15 minutes.
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Next

Return to SCCY CPX-1, CPX-2, & CPX-3 Accessories