Length of trigger travel - too long?

Forum for the discussion of SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP pistol modifications, holsters, and other after-market items.

Length of trigger travel - too long?

Postby terryinleesburg » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:00 am

Hey all;

I was doing a lot of dry-fire with my new SCCY, and the trigger travel is annoying.
I have a new one (just got it last week), and there is virtually no pre / post travel in it. It is just a very loooooong trigger pull.

Has anyone done anything to mod for this? I know there are setscrews for the pre / post travel, but that is not the problem.

Thanks
Terry
terryinleesburg

Re: Length of trigger travel - too long?

Postby mikeMAGNUM » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:27 am

Hello terryinleesburg,
I personally have done no mods to my CPX2 CBFE
but it's been 100% since new 11/4/14. Bought in Jan. 2015 Ser 177xxx. 1000 rds Downrange so far.
With that said and having cut my teeth on wheel guns I know that guns with only one safety
(THE ONE BETWEEN YOUR EARS) need to have a Looong trigger pull to be carried safely.
So I might recommend for you to do what I did years ago and again recently
EMBRACE that Looong smooooth trigger and strive to become proficient with its use.
JMHO/ Stay Safe and Enjoy
Staying focused.....Always diligently vigilant
mikeMAGNUM
Seasoned Member

Postby hayhauler » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:24 am

mikeMAGNUM wrote:Hello terryinleesburg,
but it's been 100% since new 11/4/14. Bought in Jan. 2015 Ser 177xxx. 1000 rds Downrange so far.
With that said and having cut my teeth on wheel guns I know that guns with only one safety
(THE ONE BETWEEN YOUR EARS) need to have a Looong trigger pull to be carried safely.
EMBRACE that Looong smooooth trigger and strive to become proficient with its use.

IMHO mikeMAGNUM is correct. I switched from a KelTec P11 to a SCCY CPX2 when the only difference was the trigger pull. They both have long trigger pulls, but the SCCY has a long smooth pull, and the KelTec didn't. I'd buy some snap caps and do ALOT of dry firing so that you're both comfortable with the trigger pull and know exactly where it releases. Knowing when the gun is going to go off is critical to being comfortable with it. Like mM, my background with handguns is all wheelguns, but I began to carry a KelTec when they came out because of the concealability and the reloadability, and switched to an SCCY because I like the trigger better. I like some of the overtravel solutions I've seen, but the trigger pull is pretty much what I hope for in a double action only handgun.
hayhauler

Postby draksig » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:04 pm

New SCCY owner here, just fired mine for the first time the other day.

I agree, the long 9 pound trigger pull is a great safety feature and in my opinion so is the long return needed to reset the hammer. I think it is nuts to carry a gun with a round chambered, no safety and a hair trigger. Please don't take this as an opening to start a chambered/un-chambered debate.
draksig

Postby Stickfarm » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:09 pm

Agree with above. With enough rounds, I have learned to like that long smooth trigger. Give it some time, you might like it as well.
Stickfarm

Postby GoesBang » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:17 pm

I prefer the shorter travel that I have in mine. That, coupled with a 6.5 lb spring, really makes world of difference.
SCCY CPX-2-CB s/n 085x (Born on 4/25/13) Receiver replaced 3/14 s/n 129x
Ruger P95PR
Henry Golden Boy H004
Kel-Tec P11/P40
RIA 1911 Tactical FS 45 ACP
RIA M206 38 Special 2"

USMC 1976-79 3rd MAW Camp Pendleton, CA
HTTP://www.X-CalibearUSA.com
GoesBang
Veteran Member

Postby craigar » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:17 pm

Has anyone tried the modification of streatching the spring to lighten the pull?
There is a good utube video on how to do it.
craigar

Postby GoesBang » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:09 pm

About 1 1/2 years ago.
SCCY CPX-2-CB s/n 085x (Born on 4/25/13) Receiver replaced 3/14 s/n 129x
Ruger P95PR
Henry Golden Boy H004
Kel-Tec P11/P40
RIA 1911 Tactical FS 45 ACP
RIA M206 38 Special 2"

USMC 1976-79 3rd MAW Camp Pendleton, CA
HTTP://www.X-CalibearUSA.com
GoesBang
Veteran Member

Postby Hektor » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:20 pm

mikeMAGNUM wrote:Hello terryinleesburg,

On point. The safety is a function of the trigger. Take the weapon to the range and become one with it. 8)
Hektor

Postby wrench459 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:38 pm

On point. The safety is a function of the trigger. Take the weapon to the range and become one with it. 8)

Some might see the word "weapon" as a trigger word and go hide in a safe place. :kickback:

911 operator "hello..the police is only 30 minutes away"
wrench459
Veteran Member

Postby fla-gypsy » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:57 pm

Having previously only owned revolvers I find the CPX2 trigger very similar.
I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
fla-gypsy
Forum Regular

Postby Renaldow » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:30 am

The trigger pull is one of the reasons why I purchased the CPX2. If you carry a gun with no safety, you want that.
Renaldow
Forum Regular

Postby Renaldow » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:42 am

Or you could spend 5 minutes and learn proper trigger control. If someone has problems controlling their firearm due to the length of pull on the trigger, they really need to be trained on how to actually use a firearm properly.
Renaldow
Forum Regular

Postby getvicious » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:23 am

One thing to remember in all this is that the CPX trigger is the way it is by design. From SCCY's website: "Double action trigger: specifically designed for shooter comfort and accuracy by designing the system to have a smooth effortless, consistent 9 pound trigger pull."

You won't be able to do much modification to the trigger pull. If the 9 pound long DAO trigger is just not working for you, you shouldn't keep the pistol. Get a pistol that works for you. There are certainly a lot of choices on the market.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby Renaldow » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:01 pm

parkerd wrote:Obviously you have little experience with firearms and tactical shooting. Do a little research.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Every forum has a troll on it, and from what I've been reading here, you are that person. Good for you. Now, run along and let the people who have constructive things to say discuss things for once.
Renaldow
Forum Regular

Next

Return to SCCY CPX-1, CPX-2, & CPX-3 Accessories