Laser Questions

Forum for the discussion of SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP pistol modifications, holsters, and other after-market items.

Laser Questions

Postby foolzrushn » Fri May 29, 2015 5:25 pm

I have been thinking about a laser sight for my CPX2, and choosing between the Armalaser TR10 and the Laserlyte UTA-FR. I think that I understand the differences in the switching and housings, but I don't know what visual range the lasers might have at the local firing range in somewhat subdued light (providing that they allow laser sights), or in daylight outside target practice.

What might be the maximum distance that I would be able to see either laser on target in those two conditions? Will the laser's distance be greater than the accurate range of the CPX2?

After searching the SCCY forum for info, I found a thread in the highroad forum archives from 2007 about laser sights.

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/inde ... 88495.html

Alphazulu in a 2:33PM post gives a range of "25 yards in normal light and 100 yards in darkness". I realize that there are way too many variables to really nail this down, but the normal (daylight?) estimation seems overly optimistic to me. I have fooled around with a typical red laser pointer and can't get close to that.

The TR10 has a shorter 635nm wavelength than the UTA-FR at 650nm, which is pretty standard for most red laser pointers. Would the wavelength really make any difference in spotting the laser dot on target?

A link on the laserpointer forum discussing this topic,

http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/perce ... 92688.html

led to another link for a 'perceived brightness calculator',

http://lsrtools.1apps.com/relativebrightness/

where you can plug in the 5mw power and the two different wavelengths to see an approximation of the difference in color and brightness.

Few people will have both laser sights for comparison, so this might be of interest. All comments welcome.
foolzrushn

Re: Laser Questions

Postby Silverbullet » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:31 pm

Just installed a Tr10. 10 minute job. The operation is fantastic! Draw the gun and the laser comes on. No buttons to push. Was plenty bright outside.
SCCY CPX2 Glock 19
Sig 938 Beretta 21
Kel Tec PF9 Ruger MKI
Taurus PT111G2. Taurus TCP 738
Bersa Thunder 380
EAA Witness
Silverbullet
Forum Regular

Postby AtlantaKen » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:18 am

I also put a TR10 on my CPX2 on Friday. Took it to the range on Saturday. Operation is nice, comes right on when you hold the gun. It was quite accurate out to 25yds (full length of my local range). Nice and bright at that distance in the range, and dimmer (but seeable) outside in normal daylight - particularly if you shine it into a shaded area. Also, at the range (mine anyways) there is some smoke in the air and some target paper dust so you can actually see the entire laser path to the target - looks like a line drawn thru the air right up to the dot on the target.

What I've noticed is how much your hand might waver when sighting in on the target, the laser shows all movement - this should help with grip and pointing feel. Groups for both my wife and myself have significantly improved and it was way more fun to shoot as you can concentrate on holding the laser on target instead of trying to look at front sight, back sight, target, then line them all up. With the laser just look at and focus on the target and put the dot when you want to shoot.

Only down sides - at the range the laser comes on and when you're loading the gun (if you hold it by the grip) it comes on and swings all around - could be distracting to other shooters. You'll need to be conscious of how you handle the gun or switch it off when not shooting. I also feel that in a home defense situation and you grab the gun in the dark, the laser is going to be swinging all around while you acquire the target- lets them know you probably have a gun but also gives them a nice bright target to shoot towards if they have one.

And yes, you can have the laser turn off by lifting your middle finger away from the sensor - it just isn't intuitive as you'll want to grab the gun for your best grip immediately. This may come easier as I get more used to having it.

It's a great accessory, went on easily and was totally accurate right out of the box. I ordered directly from the manufacturer - they had the lowest price (with the coupon in the SCCY box) and I also bought the pocket holster to fit the gun with the laser from Armalaser - fits perfect. - Highly recommended!!
AtlantaKen

Postby tom47 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:29 pm

AtlantaKen wrote:I also put a TR10 on my CPX2 on Friday. Took it to the range on Saturday. Operation is nice, comes right on when you hold the gun. It was quite accurate out to 25yds (full length of my local range). Nice and bright at that distance in the range, and dimmer (but seeable) outside in normal daylight - particularly if you shine it into a shaded area. Also, at the range (mine anyways) there is some smoke in the air and some target paper dust so you can actually see the entire laser path to the target - looks like a line drawn thru the air right up to the dot on the target.

What I've noticed is how much your hand might waver when sighting in on the target, the laser shows all movement - this should help with grip and pointing feel. Groups for both my wife and myself have significantly improved and it was way more fun to shoot as you can concentrate on holding the laser on target instead of trying to look at front sight, back sight, target, then line them all up. With the laser just look at and focus on the target and put the dot when you want to shoot.

Only down sides - at the range the laser comes on and when you're loading the gun (if you hold it by the grip) it comes on and swings all around - could be distracting to other shooters. You'll need to be conscious of how you handle the gun or switch it off when not shooting. I also feel that in a home defense situation and you grab the gun in the dark, the laser is going to be swinging all around while you acquire the target- lets them know you probably have a gun but also gives them a nice bright target to shoot towards if they have one.

And yes, you can have the laser turn off by lifting your middle finger away from the sensor - it just isn't intuitive as you'll want to grab the gun for your best grip immediately. This may come easier as I get more used to having it.

It's a great accessory, went on easily and was totally accurate right out of the box. I ordered directly from the manufacturer - they had the lowest price (with the coupon in the SCCY box) and I also bought the pocket holster to fit the gun with the laser from Armalaser - fits perfect. - Highly recommended!!

That's a very thorough review, Ken. My feelings precisely and I can't add or subtract from your assessment. I have the CPX2 and TR-10 as my EDC and I couldn't be more satisfied with the combo.
USAF
1965 to 1968
Takhli RTAFB
tom47
Forum Regular

Postby jeff7181 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:04 pm

I went to the range last week with my CPX-2 and TR10... every 2 or 3 rounds, the laser would turn off. The recoil of the gun was actually causing the master on/off switch to move. I suppose a switch that moves perpendicular to the barrel would have been a smarter design rather than parallel to it. Not sure what to do about that. I'm going to contact Armalaser and see if they have any suggestions, cause that's pretty shitty.
jeff7181
Seasoned Member

Postby AtlantaKen » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:22 am

Mine did the same thing. They replaced it with a new one, but even the new one does the same. I don't think it's been the switch on the two that I've had, though, as mine won't come back on until the next shot. And, I have tried cycling the switch on both - the only thing to get them back on was shooting the gun again.
AtlantaKen

Postby tom47 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:04 pm

AtlantaKen wrote:Mine did the same thing. They replaced it with a new one, but even the new one does the same. I don't think it's been the switch on the two that I've had, though, as mine won't come back on until the next shot. And, I have tried cycling the switch on both - the only thing to get them back on was shooting the gun again.

I'm a few months late with this reply but although I've never had the switch move to the off position from the recoil, I may have an acceptable solution.
My switch is on 24/7 with my CPX2 and TR-10 combo. This is my EDC and i haven't shut the switch off for over a year now. Batteries have never been replaced. Since the laser only comes on when the pistol is gripped, they should last a long time.

I suppose if I was in a situation where I didn't want the laser to identify my location, I might need to turn it off. But this works for me!
USAF
1965 to 1968
Takhli RTAFB
tom47
Forum Regular

Postby AtlantaKen » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:44 am

Mine did eventually get resolved - on the 4th laser. What apparently happened was - the switch connections are not soldered to the connections on the board, but are pressed on to it. Some switches were built just a little short, and after shooting the switch would move away just a little from making solid contact and the switch would no longer make close the circuit. Sometimes it would just make light enough contact to have the laser come on but at a very low level. Not all of the switches are bad though - but they only know the lot numbers and some short ones are mixed in, so no real serial number range for the bad ones. They are aware of the problem at Armalaser so if you're having intermittent laser problems or light laser power, give them a call.
AtlantaKen

Postby tom47 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:07 pm

Thanks for the info, Ken. I'll keep an eye on mine. It does seem the switch opens and closes firmly on mine, so I might have gotten a good one! :D
USAF
1965 to 1968
Takhli RTAFB
tom47
Forum Regular

Postby AtlantaKen » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:20 pm

Unfortunately you can't tell by the switch - it's the prongs on the back side of the switch - they just press against the circuit board. The switches with the 'bad shorter legs' just barely make contact with the circuit. The shock of the pistol firing jostle these prongs enough to either make an even lighter contact (laser much less bright) or move away far enough to break the circuit and the laser goes off.

On mine - even when the laser went off no amount of moving the switch would get it back on. I even tried replacing the battery while the laser was off (switch was on) and it wouldn't light. Then fire the pistol again and the laser would come back on.

Warranty at Armalaser is very good and they will resolve it.
AtlantaKen

Postby Firecop467 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:17 pm

Don't know if anyone else experienced this with the Armalaser, I was at a outdoor range today, temperature mid 20's and after a while the laser stopped working. Couldn't figure out why, another shooter guessed it was the cold and sure enough, when I got into the truck with the heat on, the laser came back on. Coincidence or operating as designed? Thanks
Last edited by Firecop467 on Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Firecop467

Postby getvicious » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:50 am

Firecop467- Sounds like you've just experienced the difference between commercial spec electronics and mil spec electronics. Apparently Armalaser is produced with commercial spec components.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operating_temperature
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby AtlantaKen » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:35 am

I also wouldn't rule out the switch as being the problem.

The cold weather could contract the metal prongs just enough to break the contact with the circuit board.
AtlantaKen

Postby Firecop467 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:15 pm

getvicious wrote:Firecop467- Sounds like you've just experienced the difference between commercial spec electronics and mil spec electronics. Apparently Armalaser is produced with commercial spec components.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operating_temperature

Thank you, sir.
Firecop467

Postby Firecop467 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:13 pm

I contacted Armalaser about the issue, no response to date. Kind of surprised.
Firecop467

Next

Return to SCCY CPX-1, CPX-2, & CPX-3 Accessories