NEW trigger mod for CPX: Near-Zero overtravel

Forum for the discussion of SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP pistol modifications, holsters, and other after-market items.

Re: NEW trigger mod for CPX: Near-Zero overtravel

Postby getvicious » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:41 pm

johnorberson wrote:i've been told that if you send your CXP back to SSCY they will modify the trigger for free as a safety precaution. Have i been misled on this information and if so what gives. The other question that I have is the slide spring medication to a 20 pound spring, does that help with the recoil or is a waste of good money. I saw the spring replacement online and it boast that it reduces the recoil of the gun.

When the flipping of the trigger cam spring came out a couple years ago, it came partly from SCCY. I thought SCCY had modified their assembly process to do it to all their pistols as they were built. If they're not it's a surprise to me. I suggest you call SCCY. Please let us know if you get any good info.

A 20 pound recoil spring should reduce recoil a bit as the OEM spring is something like 16 pounds (I'm told). A heavier spring will absorb more recoil force than a lighter spring will. But, that's not a lot of difference. The problem is we feel "perceived" recoil since none of us has a calibrated forearm. Some owners have said the 20 pound spring is great and helps a lot. Others say it's a waste. It's just very subjective.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Re: NEW trigger mod for CPX: Near-Zero overtravel

Postby radioflyer » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:00 pm

getvicious wrote:
johnorberson wrote:i've been told that if you send your CXP back to SSCY they will modify the trigger for free as a safety precaution. Have i been misled on this information and if so what gives. The other question that I have is the slide spring medication to a 20 pound spring, does that help with the recoil or is a waste of good money. I saw the spring replacement online and it boast that it reduces the recoil of the gun.

When the flipping of the trigger cam spring came out a couple years ago, it came partly from SCCY. I thought SCCY had modified their assembly process to do it to all their pistols as they were built. If they're not it's a surprise to me. I suggest you call SCCY. Please let us know if you get any good info.

A 20 pound recoil spring should reduce recoil a bit as the OEM spring is something like 16 pounds (I'm told). A heavier spring will absorb more recoil force than a lighter spring will. But, that's not a lot of difference. The problem is we feel "perceived" recoil since none of us has a calibrated forearm. Some owners have said the 20 pound spring is great and helps a lot. Others say it's a waste. It's just very subjective.

The overall resistance of the recoil spring is not going to affect total felt recoil since the same amount of energy is being transmitted backwards. The felt recoil is either long and soft or short and snappy. The recoil spring has two purposes

1) Allow the slide to cycle fully rearward then return the slide forward with sufficient force to extract a round and lockup to the barrel
2) Provide enough resistance so that the slid ONLY has enough rearward momentum to cycle fully.

I've had experience with #2 with a .45 Jericho 941. A Jahal.org created a 2-stage recoil spring to solve the problem of a massively heavy slide moving a considerable distance. With many Jericho and similar pistols, the slide would slam into the frame during cycling creating a snappy recoil even with a 2+ pound .45 pistol. With the spring installed, the recoil was made more manageable by increasing the time over which the spring absorbed it. This also reduced wear and aided in accuracy.

This being said, a heavier spring MIGHT help reduce felt recoil and as long as the pistol continues to cycle (make sure to try with the ammo type, projectile weight and load you intend to carry) Then it may not be a bad idea.
radioflyer

Previous

Return to SCCY CPX-1, CPX-2, & CPX-3 Accessories