NEW trigger mod for CPX: Near-Zero overtravel

Forum for the discussion of SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP pistol modifications, holsters, and other after-market items.

NEW trigger mod for CPX: Near-Zero overtravel

Postby radioflyer » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:06 pm

For the short story scroll down to the pics.

My daily carry is a highly customized P2000sk with a lightened LEM trigger. (It's basically a 4 lb long trigger pull each time)

I purchased a CPX for a deep cover replacement because of it's VERY small size, yet it's something easily manipulated and still feels sturdy enough in my hand. I don't care much for for mini-pistols. (I fired a friend's Ruger LCP and even being a .380 the thing tried to jump out of my hands no matter how securely I held it. This makes follow up shots horribly inaccurate or comparatively time consuming) This brought me to the CPX. I understand being a budget pistol that it isn't going to be perfect but the trigger was a challenge. The worst was part the over-travel. Once the sear would break, there would be almost a 1/4" of over-travel with virtually no resistance. Going from pulling a 9lb trigger to instantly a 0.5lb trigger makes for some very jerky motions no matter how controlled the trigger press. This also increases the reset distance substantially.

I didn't like the idea of a set screw in a custom trigger that would have to be extended so far to make up the slack so I looked for an alternative solution. Instead of putting a set screw on the trigger, I put one in the trigger mechanism itself:

The set screw is adjusted so that the over travel is only just barely past the sear break point resulting in a reliable setup that can now be used with remarkable precision and control. Range test coming soon.
radioflyer

Re: NEW trigger mod for CPX: Near-Zero overtravel

Postby Mrbone » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:41 pm

That's nice! Be sure to let us know how it works out!
Mrbone
Veteran Member

Postby radioflyer » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:41 am

An even more interesting modification just came to mind. If I can add a spring that catches just before the trigger stop, I could effectively stage the trigger just like on a double action pistol.

Something like this
radioflyer

Postby getvicious » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:56 am

radioflyer - Can you provide the info on your mod (measurements, set screw size, etc.)?

By the way, howdy and welcome from NC. Glad you found us.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby radioflyer » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:46 am

getvicious wrote:radioflyer - Can you provide the info on your mod (measurements, set screw size, etc.)?

set screw size is a #4 coarse thread (I wouldn't trust aluminum with a fine thread) and the length is roughly 3/8" but also shaved down on one side. I'll try to get some better photos this evening.
radioflyer

Postby Pocket_Pistol » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:31 am

radioflyer wrote:An even more interesting modification just came to mind. If I can add a spring that catches just before the trigger stop, I could effectively stage the trigger just like on a double action pistol.

Something like this

Unless you want to use your CPX for plinking why would you want a 2-stage trigger? For S. D. use most experts recommend a smooth continuous trigger pull.

Free men are not equal. Equal men are not free.
Pocket Pistol

"No longer waiting for the MPX"
Pocket_Pistol
Veteran Member

Postby radioflyer » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:48 pm

Pocket_Pistol wrote:Unless you want to use your CPX for plinking why would you want a 2-stage trigger? For S. D. use most experts recommend a smooth continuous trigger pull.

In a situation where accuracy counts, having a 2 stage trigger (especially if it's a DAO) cam make all the difference. My daily carry (A P2000SK with LEM trigger) has the ideal setup IMO. There is a definite stage to the trigger just before the sear breaks which allows excellent control and incredibly accuracy for a carry rig. My objective it to have the same type of trigger on my CPX. It has the safety of a long pull but provides that extra level of control needed when precision is required.
radioflyer

Postby arcus10mm » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:27 pm

Mozambique Drill
arcus10mm
Veteran Member

Postby economod » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:31 pm

Pocket_Pistol wrote:Unless you want to use your CPX for plinking why would you want a 2-stage trigger? For S. D. use most experts recommend a smooth continuous trigger pull.

Why not use my CPX for plinking? I sold all my other calibers, except my .357mag. Frankly, my CPX is a bit too big to pocket carry and a bit too small as a comfortable range pistol. But, that's what works for me at the range, for now. Otherwise, my CPX has no place in my small arsenal. I can see trading my CPX for a TCP and a SD9VE, then I'd probably be more happy. At least the SD9VE has aftermarket trigger upgrades. But, that's just getting back into the same collector mode. To each his own.
2016 SCCY WOOD SHIMS > viewtopic.php?p=50025#p50025
9mm AMMO LENGTH > viewtopic.php?p=48248#p48248
CPX2 DESTROYED > viewtopic.php?p=51413#p51413
economod
Veteran Member

Postby economod » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:35 pm

radioflyer wrote:In a situation where accuracy counts, having a 2 stage trigger (especially if it's a DAO) cam make all the difference.

I appreciate reading about your innovative concepts. Utilize your skills. Keep pushing.
2016 SCCY WOOD SHIMS > viewtopic.php?p=50025#p50025
9mm AMMO LENGTH > viewtopic.php?p=48248#p48248
CPX2 DESTROYED > viewtopic.php?p=51413#p51413
economod
Veteran Member

Postby radioflyer » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:45 am

I've decided the 2-stage trigger is beyond my current tinkering ability and the benefit is negligible especially considering the lack of solid lock-up on the barrel. I do not expect I will ever shoot this pistol beyond 7 yards for any reason so I am comfortable not having a super-accurate trigger.

This shows the point at which the trigger stops it's rearward movement. The sear breaks less than 1/16 before the stopping point. I found this is the minimum distance to ensure the trigger can reliably reset. Before this modification, the trigger's over-travel would go all the way to the rear of the trigger opening with only the resistance of the return spring.

radioflyer

Postby radioflyer » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:17 pm

Today was my first opportunity to to take the new trigger to the range. Initial impressions were excellent. The trigger was able to cycle every time with no discernible issues. Accuracy was slightly improved. I am now consistently able to put repeated shots in an 8" circle at 5 yards with reasonable speed (front sight picture only) . At a slower shooting speed, the same could be accomplished at 7 yards with a perfect sight picture on each shot. I attribute a great deal of this to shooting confidence. Instead of knowing i would have to deal with a long lightweight over-travel, I was able to firmly work the trigger both with single shots and rapid follow ups.

Honestly I don't see ever firing this pistol at anything beyond 7 yards. The barrel simply doesn't have the lock-up for me to have the confidence needed to take a precision shot. It is certainly good for anything inside that distance. While I am impressed with the results for the price and will add this to my rotation, I am still (many would agree) planning to stick with my p2000sk as my primary summer carry. The CPX will be used when deep concealment is needed.
radioflyer

Postby mogunner » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:01 pm

1. Size for size a fine thread is stronger than a coarse thread . This is both in tension (because of the larger stress area) and shear (because of their larger minor diameter).

2. Fine threads have also less tendency to loosen since the thread incline is smaller and hence so is the off torque.

3. Because of the smaller pitch they allow finer adjustments in applications that need such a feature.

4. Fine threads can be more easily tapped into hard materials and thin walled tubes.

5. Fine threads require less torque to develop equivalent bolt preloads.

On the negative side:

1. Fine threads are more susceptible to galling than coarse threads.

2. They need longer thread engagements and are more prone to damage and thread fouling.

3. They are also less suitable for high speed assembly since they are more likely to seize when being tightened.
mogunner

Postby Yankee1 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:05 pm

radioflyer wrote:
getvicious wrote:radioflyer - Can you provide the info on your mod (measurements, set screw size, etc.)?

set screw size is a #4 coarse thread (I wouldn't trust aluminum with a fine thread) and the length is roughly 3/8" but also shaved down on one side. I'll try to get some better photos this evening.

I would sure be interested in the exact placement of this set screw and how happy you are with this still...I am seriously thinking about try this.
Yankee1

Postby johnorberson » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:53 pm

i've been told that if you send your CXP back to SSCY they will modify the trigger for free as a safety precaution. Have i been misled on this information and if so what gives. The other question that I have is the slide spring medication to a 20 pound spring, does that help with the recoil or is a waste of good money. I saw the spring replacement online and it boast that it reduces the recoil of the gun.
johnorberson

Next

Return to SCCY CPX-1, CPX-2, & CPX-3 Accessories