Front sight replacement

Forum for the discussion of SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP pistol modifications, holsters, and other after-market items.

Front sight replacement

Postby Fangster » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:56 am

...... I would like to replace my CPX-2 front sight with a fiber optic one from Tru-Glo or one of the other popular manufacturers. Does the factory front sight have two spurs that are glued into holes in the slide? If so, can the factory sight be removed by "gentle" persuasion. I can modify the same height fiber optic, as needed to fit my SCCY.

If, as I suspect, there are holes in the slide for mounting the factory sight, I would probably tap one and use a single screw shotgun type bead, with glue also, as needed. I have had great success in gluing radiused slug gun and ramped rifle front sights using Loc-Tite "Black Max" instant glue; available from Brownells or Midway.
Fangster

Re: Front sight replacement

Postby getvicious » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:33 pm

Fangster wrote:...... I would like to replace my CPX-2 front sight with a fiber optic one from Tru-Glo or one of the other popular manufacturers. Does the factory front sight have two spurs that are glued into holes in the slide? If so, can the factory sight be removed by "gentle" persuasion. I can modify the same height fiber optic, as needed to fit my SCCY.

If, as I suspect, there are holes in the slide for mounting the factory sight, I would probably tap one and use a single screw shotgun type bead, with glue also, as needed. I have had great success in gluing radiused slug gun and ramped rifle front sights using Loc-Tite "Black Max" instant glue; available from Brownells or Midway.

The answer is yes. Check out page 32 in the SCCY manual.

Also, if you remove your slide, and take out the recoil rod assy and barrel, you can see the bottom of the two pins.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby GoesBang » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:57 pm

Only the rear is glued. The front serves more as an anchor as does not get glued. Super glue is closer to what SCCY uses.
SCCY CPX-2-CB s/n 085x (Born on 4/25/13) Receiver replaced 3/14 s/n 129x
Ruger P95PR
Henry Golden Boy H004
Kel-Tec P11/P40
RIA 1911 Tactical FS 45 ACP
RIA M206 38 Special 2"

USMC 1976-79 3rd MAW Camp Pendleton, CA
HTTP://www.X-CalibearUSA.com
GoesBang
Veteran Member

Postby sccytoter » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:21 pm

Has anyone had a front sight fly off or the adhesive come loose before? :?:
Semper Fi Mac!
sccytoter
Veteran Member

Postby GoesBang » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:52 pm

sccytoter wrote:Has anyone had a front sight fly off or the adhesive come loose before? :?:

Never had one fall off, but I have removed and replaced more than one.
SCCY CPX-2-CB s/n 085x (Born on 4/25/13) Receiver replaced 3/14 s/n 129x
Ruger P95PR
Henry Golden Boy H004
Kel-Tec P11/P40
RIA 1911 Tactical FS 45 ACP
RIA M206 38 Special 2"

USMC 1976-79 3rd MAW Camp Pendleton, CA
HTTP://www.X-CalibearUSA.com
GoesBang
Veteran Member

Postby 5galloncan » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:15 pm

I had the front sight fly off of my CPX2. SCCY sent me a replacement. I don't think gluing a front sight on is a good firearm engineering practice. Sorry, SCCY. Two things I did in remounting it: (1) I heated a 6-penny nail, nailhead down, on the stovetop for a couple minutes on high. I set the new sight in place, and turned the slide over on a wood surface. Then, grasping the nail with a vice-grip pliers, I mushroomed the rear most sight pin slightly by pressing down on it with the hot nailhead. The plastic never melted, it just softened enough so the downward force mushroomed it enough to hold it securely in place like a rivet. (2) I then mixed up a dab of JB Weld glue and filled the shallow factory milled depression they allow for gluing. The factory uses a softer glue, but it obviously was inadequate. Since my first sight totally disappeared at the gun range, I wanted to make sure this didn't happen to my new sight, which I improved a bit before installing.

20160827_203053.jpg
Sight install

Not especially fond of the factory white, three dot system, I repainted the rear sight dots and inserted a red fiber optic into the front sight.

To do this you need to chuck a small drill bit the size of your fiber optic into a hand held pin vice. I did this with the sight off of the gun. I made a jig to hold the sight by drilling two small holes on the top edge of a small block of wood matching the sight's mounting pins. Then you slowly drill a hole back to front through the sight. Go slowly and constantly check your angle. You don't want to come out too high or low on the other end. Start at the rear and work towards the front. Once the hole is finished, you need a small cutting disç in a Dremel tool to surgically remove some top and sides out of the middle of the sight. This will allow the fiber optic to catch enough ambient light to function. Check my photos below.

Next you take a small lighter and mushroom one end of the fiber optic by approaching, but not touching it with the flame. You can watch plenty of YouTube videos on how to do this. Then you clip the optic fiber to size with a nail clippers, leaving just enough to mushroom the other end after you insert it. The mushroomed ends hold the optic in place. Slip it in from the rear of the sight so you can apply the flame evenly to the more accessible front end. If you mess up, just clip the optic out and try again.
20160827_203638.jpg
Fiber optic front view

I used Truglo .060" fiber optics I bought on Amazon. The drill bit was 1/16".

20160827_203125.jpg
Fiber optic install

20160827_213744.jpg
Fiber optic sight picture
Last edited by 5galloncan on Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5galloncan

Postby Merc6 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:53 pm

I wish there was a like button!
SCCY CPX-2 CB SOLD
SW1911SC E Series 2- Tone .45 Auto
Glock 17 Gen 3
PF940 V1.5
Remington 870 Express
Merc6
Seasoned Member

Postby 5galloncan » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:56 pm

Oh, I forgot to mention that the rear sight in the photo is not the original. I had also reported to SCCY customer service that my pistol was shooting 4 to 6 inches high and they kindly sent me a replacement rear sight. Now it is dead on at 7 yards.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
5galloncan

Return to SCCY CPX-1, CPX-2, & CPX-3 Accessories