CPX 2 Questions

Forum for the discussion of SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP pistol modifications, holsters, and other after-market items.

CPX 2 Questions

Postby drb166 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:50 am

I've narrowed down my list of 28 pistols to the CPX-2, and despite all my research, I still have four unanswered questions. (1) Are the sights replaceable? (2) The rear sights are listed as adjustable. Are they adjustable for elevation, windage, or both? (3) Are there aftermarket sights available, if they can be replaced? (4) Can a gun shop shorten the trigger pull and reset?

Thanks for your help
drb166

Re: CPX 2 Questions

Postby getvicious » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:02 am

drb166 wrote:I've narrowed down my list of 28 pistols to the CPX-2, and despite all my research, I still have four unanswered questions. (1) Are the sights replaceable? (2) The rear sights are listed as adjustable. Are they adjustable for elevation, windage, or both? (3) Are there aftermarket sights available, if they can be replaced? (4) Can a gun shop shorten the trigger pull and reset?

Thanks for your help

Sights replaceable? The rear sight is held in place with a set screw so may be easily removed / replaced. The front sight is glued in place. Hard to replace but doable.

Rear sight adjustable? Yes but only side to side - not for elevation.

Aftermarket sights? Not really but I have seen adds for sights that are for Kel-Tec P11 that are marketed to fit the CPX. There may be a few SCCY specific sights out there but I haven't seen them.

Trigger pull shorten? I don't know. There are ways to make the pull less heavy but you have a trade off as too light and you invite light strikes. The length and reset are part of the trigger geometry and the design of the parts. There are aftermarket triggers that say they can adjust the travel - some say they work well, others say the don't. If you're looking to really change the feel and length of the trigger pull / reset you may be disappointed. The CPX trigger is very double action revolver-ish, long and smooth.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby drb166 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:35 am

I've seen a replacement, non captured spring setup, to reduce the recoil. Available here https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N5 ... pldnSite=1 . Has anyone tried this to help mitigate the recoil from a 15 ounce pistol? My wife and daughter will be immigrating from the Philippines soon, and I'm hoping this is something they can shoot too. I'll start them on my Ruger 22/45 first, but I was hoping the CPX 2 would be a solution for tiny hands too.
drb166

Postby Pony Soldier » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:52 am

Thanks for the questions and your consideration on the SCCY. Just curious, what is the second ranked pistol you may be considering, and have you contacted a forum on that weapon and expressed your concerns? I seems that if SCCY is your possible primary interest, the second on your list has less attractive attributes.
Pony Soldier
Seasoned Member

Postby drb166 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:37 pm

On my short list, they are the Taurus PT111 G2, and the EAA SAR K2P. But the SCCY CXP 2 is far ahead in "points". I created a color coded spreadsheet to make my decision easier, so I could visualize it. In my research, I haven't found a better firearm in it's size and category. I'm in love with the Arex Rex Zero 1, but it''s not a summer carry gun, though I may buy one later. I looked at pistols under $500 and kept coming up with the CPX 1/2. I like the looks, sorta like a PPK, and I love the capacity, and the warranty is killer. SCCY has a lot of confidence in their product. That speaks volumes to me. Taurus has almost the same warranty, and they seem to be of similar quality. For me though, I will buy a CPX 2. I'll buy a larger frame for "coat" weather, probably. But because of my job, I spend more leisure time away from home in the summer. I do own a .32 ACP Beretta (Spanish Police carry during WW2), but I'm not confident in it as a CCW. Nine is a new number to me, though I do think .380 with Underwood or Lehigh penetrator is sufficient as a CCW round. My preferences are .357 SIG and 10mm. But those are expensive compared to the 9mm. I have a farm I can shoot at, so 9 is my current choice, based on economics.

I have contacted no other forums because I really don't have a second choice. The CPX 2 fits all of my concerns and needs. I have, in the past, practiced with mouse guns, like the Beretta .25, which basically have no sights. My only concern is shooting now, 30 years later, with failing eyesight. I have a very strong eyeglass presciption, and I may end up shooting right handed, left eye dominant.
Last edited by drb166 on Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drb166

Postby getvicious » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:52 pm

The recoil is very subjective to the shooter. My granddaughter shot mine when she was 11 and had no issues. My wife can shoot it easily but has strength issues in her hands that reduce her grip strength. She can't rack the slide any longer on my CPX nor on her FireStorm 380. She picked out a SR22 and she loves that because she has no problem operating the slide. I have a couple other women friends that also have issues operating my CPX slide. So, if your wife has any grip issue that may be an issue for her too.

The recoil rod. - A Kel-Tec P11 rod / spring set will fit the CPX. I ran one early on in my original CPX and it worked equal to the SCCY OEM setup. Galloway sells a kit for the CPX. Others may too, or find a P11 kit or parts. People have said they like the 20 pound recoil springs. I've personally never tried heavier springs as I have no issue with the recoil, or function, as is.

I do like my CPX-1 a lot (still). I've been carrying it since 2010. It works well for me and fits my hands and carry style. I find it easy to shoot and reliable.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby drb166 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:14 pm

Thanks getvicious . The only recoil issues I've ever had with a pistol is the Sig .357 SIG I once owned. I haven't purchased anything since 2006, so I'm out of date except for my research. But I've seen complaints about the CPX 1/2 recoil because of it's light weight. I'm 5'11", 190 lbs and I'm fine with a full frame .45, 10mm, and .357 SIG (as long as the .357 SIG is at least a 4" barrel. Shorter than that, I have a bad habit of blinking due to the supersonic 'crack'). I've never fired a 9mm, so I'm not sure what to expect.
drb166

Postby getvicious » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:13 pm

drb166 wrote:Thanks getvicious . The only recoil issues I've ever had with a pistol is the Sig .357 SIG I once owned. I haven't purchased anything since 2006, so I'm out of date except for my research. But I've seen complaints about the CPX 1/2 recoil because of it's light weight. I'm 5'11", 190 lbs and I'm fine with a full frame .45, 10mm, and .357 SIG (as long as the .357 SIG is at least a 4" barrel. Shorter than that, I have a bad habit of blinking due to the supersonic 'crack'). I've never fired a 9mm, so I'm not sure what to expect.

The CPX requires a firm grip to shoot well as I think all plastic pistols do. The light weight means less mass for it to recoil against which means your wrist becomes even more important as a solid backstop for the pistol to recoil against. My CPX was the first plastic pistol I've ever fired. The first shot surprised me since it had been years since I had fired a pistol but was easy to shoot and very manageable. I've fired my neighbor's XD .45 and find my CPX has a bit more recoil, but not much. I expect it's due to muzzle velocity, 9mm is fast compared to the .45 ACP. In reality my wife's FireStorm 380 recoil feels a lot like my CPX even though it's a metal pistol (but still very light).

People will complain about anything that is beyond their expectations or their desire. The CPX, like all small plastic pistols, has a good amount of recoil. Is it worse than other handguns? Not in my opinion. If a shooter expects some recoil and understands all handguns have recoil and uses a good grip (like recommended with any handgun) they'll be fine. If a person tells themselves the recoil will be hard to control or not manageable they will feel it like that. If a person expects there to be recoil, just like with any handgun, they will feel that and it will be like other handguns to them. Unless you have some physical limitation (like my friend with arthritis in her hands) you will have no trouble shooting any 9mm.

The one thing not subjective with the CPX (and other small pistols like it) is the size. You can't hold it like a full size handgun - there just isn't enough grip to get your whole hand around it. I use the flat mag base and curl my pinky under the base of the mag. That grip works really well for me. Others like the mag base with the pinky extension to get a better grip on the pistol. It's nice that the pistol comes with both style mag basses.

From what I've been told the 10mm is a pretty hot round. The 9mm is certainly not nearly as hot as the 10mm. Expect that you'll be fine with the CPX (or any other small plastic pistol) and you will be fine.
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby Pony Soldier » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:34 pm

If you can find a range that might rent the SCCY give that a try to possibly answer your questions. Otherwise, buy one, use it and see if it meets your expectations. If not, trade it on another make you may select and realize a loss of $50 to $100 from your initial cost. Or buy a used one, if they're around in your area, and allow that if you don't care for the pistol, it will relate to the price of an education to find what really suits you. Talk here is only worth a percentage of actual hands on for you to determine if the weapon is what you want.
Pony Soldier
Seasoned Member

Postby economod » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:47 pm

drb166 ... you may be interested in the 15+1 9mm Tristar C-100 made in Turkey by Canik55.
It features the CZ design like the SAR K2P, with an aluminum frame like the Arex Rex Zero 1.
It's also smaller than both, and can often be purchased for around $350 with 2 Mec-Gar mags.
http://www.tristararms.com/products/sem ... c-pistols/
hth

Good advise, from getvicious and Pony Soldier.
2016 SCCY WOOD SHIMS > viewtopic.php?p=50025#p50025
9mm AMMO LENGTH > viewtopic.php?p=48248#p48248
CPX2 DESTROYED > viewtopic.php?p=51413#p51413
economod
Veteran Member

Postby wrench459 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:54 pm

A new out of the box cpx-1/2 is snappy even for a plastic pistol.
Once a few hundred rounds is fed tru not so bad.
To me the long reset is a safety feature.
wrench459
Veteran Member

Postby smokeyburb » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:08 pm

drb166 wrote: I created a color coded spreadsheet to make my decision easier, so I could visualize it.

I made my own spreadsheet too, with the CPX-2 coming out on top.

I encourage you to not get caught up with a lot of hype when it comes to accessories and aftermarket parts like sights and guide rods. How often do these fail under normal use? If tinkering is your thing, then check out online tutorials to modify or replace parts to suite your needs.

drb166 wrote: I have a very strong eyeglass presciption, and I may end up shooting right handed, left eye dominant.

I too need a strong eyeglass prescription and am right handed/left eye dominant, and can tell you that with practice you can train your eyes and muscles to compensate. I use a removable LaserLyte and dry fire. If you want more then consider installing a LaserLyte trigger guard model to fit SCCY; it functions as a training device and an auxiliary aiming device. I am not a LaserLyte salesman, just a very happy end user.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
smokeyburb

Postby wink » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:22 pm

wrench459 wrote:A new out of the box cpx-1/2 is snappy even for a plastic pistol.
Once a few hundred rounds is fed tru not so bad.
To me the long reset is a safety feature.

I agree the more I shoot it the more I like it. I did have the spring pins to work out but live close enough that I just took it to Sccy and was fixed while I waited.
Very nice people to work with on a repair.
wink

Postby getvicious » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:25 am

wink - Howdy and welcome from NC. Glad you found us.
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby ursamajor » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:25 pm

The SCCY is a pussycat in the recoil dept. I did upgrade my spring to 20 lbs, but that was because the OEM spring did not allow the gun to be eased into battery. The 20lbs spring does.

For years I carried a S&W 442.

Shoot that one-even with non +P, and then get back at me on uncomfortable recoil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ursamajor

Return to SCCY CPX-1, CPX-2, & CPX-3 Accessories