Feed issues ?

For the general discussion of SCCY Industries firearms. Includes the SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP handguns.

Feed issues ?

Postby RJR573 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:03 pm

Does anyone else have feed issues with their CPX 2?
Occasionally mine will only feed a round about half way into the chamber even when using Full Metal Jacket ammo.
To me it seems like the recoil springs could be a little stiffer so they would feed new rounds in with more Force... Also my CPX ejects empty brass about twice as far as most all my other pistols which also is a sign of a weak recoil spring.
I'm wondering if anyone makes stiffer recoil springs for these pistols ?
RJR573

Re: Feed issues ?

Postby FastEddie » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:43 pm

Same for mine. Just a bunch of minor issues like that. Doesn't matter, don't really like it, too many little issues. Throwing the brass fair and wide and random is not looked on favorably at the range. Picked up a Taurus 111. Cost less, far superior. Not a single prob. Think tha't's my keeper.
FastEddie
Forum Regular

Postby RJR573 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:01 pm

Yup the pt111 g2 is a excellent pistol for the 199.00 they sell for at most places.. I got mine for that price with free shipping from Palmetto State Armory about a year ago and think it's an absolutely fantastic gun with many rounds down range and zero issues so far....
I just bought the cpx-2 because I had some extra money laying around and been wanting to try one as I used to have the Kel Tec P11 which was a good gun with a crappy trigger and I almost bought another one when I decided to try the cpx-2 instead. I have many other carry guns so it's likely this may never get in the rotation.
RJR573

Postby wrench459 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:27 pm

Humm, let's see after market recoil spring.

itsaway, no thats not it.

gotaway sounds closer.
wrench459
Veteran Member

Postby frank » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:19 am

RJR573 wrote:Does anyone else have feed issues with their CPX 2?
Occasionally mine will only feed a round about half way into the chamber even when using Full Metal Jacket ammo.
To me it seems like the recoil springs could be a little stiffer so they would feed new rounds in with more Force... Also my CPX ejects empty brass about twice as far as most all my other pistols which also is a sign of a weak recoil spring.
I'm wondering if anyone makes stiffer recoil springs for these pistols ?

have you called the factory customer service yet ?? ( 1-386-322-6336 ) they will probably fix you up with some parts right quick . i had a bad mag when i got my
cpw-2 and they had me a new one in a couple of days ----
frank
Forum Regular

Postby RJR573 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:45 am

No I have not contacted the factory but will do so ASAP. Thank you for the phone number.
RJR573

Postby RJR573 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:24 pm

Talked with Jason in customer support this morning and he is sending a new recoil spring and 2 new mags at no charge...
He does not think the recoil spring is weak but rather the magazines feed lips maybe a little tight or close together especially near the front which makes it harder for the bullet to climb the feed ramp before it is completely free from the magazine.
I will post feedback after the new parts are delivered and tested.
RJR573

Postby wrench459 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:10 pm

Have you polished the feed ramp?
wrench459
Veteran Member

Postby RJR573 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:04 pm

No not yet but I was planning to along with re-shaping the top edge a little...
RJR573

Postby FastEddie » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:47 am

Haven't been on here for long, but read a lot of previous posts. Appears the magazine feed issue has existed for at least five years. Just wondering when SCCY will get around to thinking about fixing it? Seems like they have sent out a lot of free magazines. Going to call them today. Maybe that is my feed issue, maybe not. Compared them to my Taurus mags, which are very similar. Indeed the the top feed area is a considerable amount less restricted. Will keep you posted.
FastEddie
Forum Regular

Postby frank » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:06 am

rjr573 glad you got some parts , is`nt their customer service great ? keltec use to be like that . sccy makes their own magazines in house ,which is unusual (probably to keep costs down ) . even most of the big manufacturers like colt , s &w , kimber,
walther , canik -tristar ,etc. have MEC-GAR in italy make mags for them . which means it is hard to make excellent ones .

https://thefiringline.com/forums//showt ... p?t=236280
frank
Forum Regular

Postby RJR573 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:31 pm

Received two new magazines and just by looking at them you can tell that the feed lips are spread farther apart on the end towards the barrel.... My old mags were the same distance apart at the rear as the front....
Tried the new mags and the problem is gone...
Even when working the slide slow by hand you can see how the bullet climbs the feed ramp much easier because of wider feed lips.... With the old mags the bullet was getting stuck about halfway up the feed ramp as it was trying to tilt because the front of the feed lips would not allow the bullet to tilt like it needed
RJR573

Return to SCCY Firearms General Discussion