Thinking about getting another pistol

For the general discussion of firearms other than those made by Sccy Industries or under the former name, Skyy Industries.

Thinking about getting another pistol

Postby HootmonSccy » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:37 am

I've been pondering buying a .380. To be more specific a Remington RM380.
90+% of the reviews I've read are positive with a very few actual technical issues. The biggest complaint is people who never shot a DAO pistol, which is no problem if you shoot a SCCY!

They have again put out a $100 rebate on their guns (Very Limited Time)..

SO, I can pick up the pistol at Buds for $219.00
INSURED SHIPPING $ 12.00
plus FFL transfer $ 25.00
Minus rebate -$100.00

Looks like about $156.00

The rebate is only until early January.. So, IF you are interested.. You better get going!
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Re: Thinking about getting another pistol

Postby Renaldow » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:23 pm

I've been looking at that too. Really good deal!
Renaldow
Forum Regular

Postby Lefty Red » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:04 am

Surprise, they are a decent pistol. Little heavy, bit low recoil and extended range time.

I would carry one.

Lefty

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Lefty Red
Seasoned Member

Postby HootmonSccy » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:45 pm

My new Pistol arrived today (Woo Hoo!!!)
Broke the pistol down, did a nice cleaning and lubing of EVERYTHING!
1st impression, Pretty will made, The take down is STUPID! and gun was pretty dirty (I don't know from manufacture or being shot)
The gun is almost the exact same size as my wifes Sig P238, if that helps..

I am NOT a professional Photographer, so I don't know if the pictures help or not, but I've attached them.

One more day for the rebate..

BUT be careful.. I purchased mine on 12/26, but did an e-check to save money.. They indicate on the receipt that I purchased it 01/03/2018...
SO IF you pull the trigger, make sure they will date your purchase on the 6th or you are out of luck..
Attachments
RM380_VS_CP2.jpg
RM380_VS_CPX2_SIZE.jpg
RM380_VS_SCCY WIDTH.jpg
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Postby Lefty Red » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:16 pm

Sweet looking weapon. Can't wait to hear how it shoots.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Lefty Red
Seasoned Member

Postby getvicious » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:50 pm

Congrats!
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby HootmonSccy » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:42 pm

The only think I really don't like about the gun (so far) is the take down pin removal..
It's kinda stupid...
You have to slide the slide back about 3/4" - 1" until a hole in the left side lines up with the pin. THEN you have to keep that in place while you rotate the gun, and then use your other hand to push the pin out (toward the left side) thru a small hole on the right side. All this while having to hold the slide, under recoil spring pressure so the holes stay lined up on the left side..
It's just awkward.. It's not hard, it's not difficult, just awkward!!
Otherwise, so far, everything I expected it to be and more..
The slide is tighter tolerances that on the SCCY (Less slide shimmy).
The frame is aluminum, the slide is steel.. I wish it were Stainless steel, but it is not..
BUT for sub $150,I ain't complaining!
Ben Franklin
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Postby FastEddie » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:43 am

Good luck with it. My RM380 has been a great purchase. I read that some are using one of those wood working squeeze clamps to hold the slide for take down.
Best thing for me is the larger beaver tail. With those lil pistols you have to use a death grip to assure the upward muzzle flip doesn't send the backward motion of the slide slicing your hand. Not a problem with the Remington.
FastEddie
Forum Regular

Postby HootmonSccy » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:52 pm

Finally got fed up with not having shot my new RM380...
I went to the range during my lunch..
I shot 4 mags worth (24 shots) and the gun was flawless.. (gun came with 2 mags (1 flat, 1 finger extension), so 2 full runs with each mag.
I know this is not a lot, but it's at least shows it goes bang reliably (at least so far)..

i was at lunch, so I was not trying to be SUPER accurate.. Target was at 8 or 10 yards, and looks like it shoots just a bit right and high (picture is sideways on the forum, the print was upright when shooting), but pretty close given the short distance between front and rear site.
and being a little high means it would be more on target (elevation wise) at a farther distance if you were to need it.

Here was my method if you care to know..
I 1st ran 6 FMJ's thru each mag.. (Perfecta 95 gr. for those that REALLY want to know)
I then ran each mag with this set up..
Hornady Critical Defense FTX 90 Gr. in the 1st, 3rd and 6th position with the rest with more FMJ Perfecta.

I don't think you have to run every round with your defense ammo.. If it goes bang in the 1st, last and in the middle, then it is under the most spring tension, least spring tension and in between spring tension..

So at this point, I have 2 mags fully loaded with the Critical Defense AND I still have 6 spares bullets, because I did not burn them all to do my testing..

I will shoot the gun more, but wanted to be able to start carrying it, and now I feel comfortable to do so..

The trigger is long as expected, but smoother than the SCCY
It's a pretty heavy gun for what it is (Steel slide and Aluminum frame) so it's not quite as snappy as the SCCY.

Overall, very happy so far...

I sent my refund info and Return Receipted it so that I can prove it got there before the deadline..
So far, the website says they are still awaiting my paperwork, so they have not processed it..
I'm guessing since the deadline is the end of the month, they are just going to wait until the middle of February before starting to process the Rebate..
Attachments
RM380_1st_GO.jpg
Ben Franklin
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Postby FastEddie » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:07 am

About the same results from my RM380. Pleased so far with everything, size, accuracy, feel.
I contacted Remington and asked where my rebate was since it was past four weeks. They responded that rebate is in process, but the rebate form states "8 weeks". Since I filed rebate online I don't have a rebate "form". Giving it two more weeks and and will check again.
FastEddie
Forum Regular

Postby HootmonSccy » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:47 am

FastEddie wrote:About the same results from my RM380. Pleased so far with everything, size, accuracy, feel.
I contacted Remington and asked where my rebate was since it was past four weeks. They responded that rebate is in process, but the rebate form states "8 weeks". Since I filed rebate online I don't have a rebate "form". Giving it two more weeks and and will check again.

When I applied on line, they sent me an e-mail with a Reference #.. I then had to send in the label from the box, Invoice, etc.. Which I return Receipted..
So, I have my Reference # proving I applied for the rebate, and a return receipt proving my forms arrived before the deadline..
I doubt they are in any hurry to write my check though..
Ben Franklin
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Return to Other Firearms