Done with this new CPX2 already

For the general discussion of SCCY Industries firearms. Includes the SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP handguns.

Done with this new CPX2 already

Postby benbai66 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:36 am

i posted just yesterday about the frame pins walking out on my wifes new CPX2,well just now , i decided i would grab the sccy and give it another look over , having just read that you CANT use loctite on polymers unless it is i think loctite 245 which is formulated for polymers . anyway , since i couldnt do the pin fix like i thought , ill give it a cleaning . disassembly was easy enough , puttin it back together ......nope . guess why.......the freaken recoil spring is TOAST !!!! it wouldnt allow the slide to come back far enough to reinsert the pin . there are a couple of coils that are kinda bulged out . i did a quick google search and sure enough , another problem recognized a couple of years ago that is still occuring . i hope to God no one thinks i am trolling or just trying to bad mouth SCCY , because im not . i registered and joined because i do that with pretty much everything , Jeeps , Guns , camaros etc . but im telling you at least a decent percentage of these guns are junk . staright up junk . 250 rounds , pins walking out , recoil spring trashed . no way would i ever carry one or let my wife . to tell the truth a hi point would be a better option to the one i have anyway . at least they are durable . i plan on contacting SCCY in the morning , explain the situation and see what they propose . but i tell you , anything less than a new gun or a refund will not be acceptable . i will not settle for a bag of parts and a free magazine . then i will sell it as new and get her something else . i dont think i have ever had a lemon if any sort . but this gun damn sure is one . i found references to recoil spring issues back to 2013 . and pins walking out before then . they may have great customer service but they need QC help for sure . ok im done ranting . yall have a good one . ill update with whatever they tell me .
benbai66

Re: Done with this new CPX2 already

Postby HootmonSccy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:42 am

Sorry that is your experience, and I don't think you are "trolling"..
As you said, call SCCY...
No excuses.. But by far, not most peoples experience.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Postby FastEddie » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:13 am

At the risk of offending a lot of die hard SCCY defenders, I must agree with you. I have had a few problems with my SCCY (sights, ejection problems, bad mags) all of which were remedied by the manufacturer. Just in the time I have been on this forum, and by looking back at previous comments, there really are too many performance problems. Yes, all firearms manufacturers produce some guns that are not perfect. But SCCY makes ONLY one gun. Many different colors, but just one gun. Yes they attempted to make a 380 but so far looks like only about a dozen are out there. Glock, Ruger, Taurus, Smith, etc each make a ton of guns and yes there are a few lemons, but the SCCY percentage of ongoing issues is alarming. It appears this is a well intentioned company with no ability to get there manufacturing processes right or correct problems that have existed for years. I bought my SCCY with no prior research. After a problem with FTL/FTE and a loose sight I found this forum only to find out the problems with poor sight attachment and defective mags and especially walking pins have existed for years. I haven't fired enough \rounds to have a rod/spring or pin problem, but those appear to be unfixed problems from the beginning of time with SCCY.
I realize that typically those with a problem are those who find a problem and comment, but again, too many problems for too few guns.
I recently both two Remingtons, both so far working well. Remington had a problem with their new 9mm. When that happened they stopped production and re-worked the whole process. The "revised" model, from what I read on forums, eliminated the initial problems. SCCY, on the other hand, has taken the approach of "what can you expect from a cheap gun?"
FastEddie

Postby benbai66 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:47 am

HootmonSccy wrote:Sorry that is your experience, and I don't think you are "trolling"..
As you said, call SCCY...
No excuses.. But by far, not most peoples experience.

thanks ! just dragged out of bed and gonna give them a call shortly . my wife was stoked about the gun and so was i , in fact i almost ordered one in FDE at the same time becuse i thought all the positive reviews were the norm , and the bad ones were either user error or aberrations . glad i didnt . something told me to hold off . i also believe a great nimber of the positive reviews come from those that buy it , shoot a couple of mags thru it and then proclaim it perfect and never hardly shoot it anymore.
benbai66

Postby benbai66 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:55 am

FastEddie wrote:At the risk of offending a lot of die hard SCCY defenders, I must agree with you. I have had a few problems with my SCCY (sights, ejection problems, bad mags) all of which were remedied by the manufacturer. Just in the time I have been on this forum, and by looking back at previous comments, there really are too many performance problems. Yes, all firearms manufacturers produce some guns that are not perfect. But SCCY makes ONLY one gun. Many different colors, but just one gun. Yes they attempted to make a 380 but so far looks like only about a dozen are out there. Glock, Ruger, Taurus, Smith, etc each make a ton of guns and yes there are a few lemons, but the SCCY percentage of ongoing issues is alarming. It appears this is a well intentioned company with no ability to get there manufacturing processes right or correct problems that have existed for years. I bought my SCCY with no prior research. After a problem with FTL/FTE and a loose sight I found this forum only to find out the problems with poor sight attachment and defective mags and especially walking pins have existed for years. I haven't fired enough \rounds to have a rod/spring or pin problem, but those appear to be unfixed problems from the beginning of time with SCCY.
I realize that typically those with a problem are those who find a problem and comment, but again, too many problems for too few guns.
I recently both two Remingtons, both so far working well. Remington had a problem with their new 9mm. When that happened they stopped production and re-worked the whole process. The "revised" model, from what I read on forums, eliminated the initial problems. SCCY, on the other hand, has taken the approach of "what can you expect from a cheap gun?"

everything i had read lead me to believe the same , they had invested in all that high tech milling and production equipment , everything done in house etc . i was thinkin , COOL, they are gonna be like the Henry Ford of gun makers and build high quality at inexpensive prices buy using economy of scale , high tech processes and good materials . but there is no way they stay in business sending out truckloads of parts every week because their stuff breaks , it just WONT happen. then everyones amazing warranty will be worth diddly. and like you said they build ONE DAMN GUN !! if they cant get it right after all this time it aint gonna happen . if theybwere truly committed to doin it better faster cheaper they would have been all over this years ago .
benbai66

Postby juror » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:36 am

The disappointing thing about SCCY is that the execution of major components is superior, while seemingly minor flaws go unresolved.

There is no excuse for magazine springs to be installed backward, frame pins to walk or sights to fall off. SCCY needs to fix these once-and-for-all.

Regarding recoil springs and guide rods, I think springs are the only part SCCY outsources. If SCCY were mine, I'd go with a stainless rod and a stronger spring, making quality control a priority.

SCCY magazines sometimes need adjustment or extended break-in time to achieve feeding reliability. Lots of factors are at play here, many expensive guns have feed issues. But this is a critical function, and maybe SCCY should look at their manufacturing tolerance and testing criteria.

That said, I spent a little time tweaking and breaking in my CPX2, and I trust it as much as my S&W 357 revolver.
juror
Forum Regular

Return to SCCY Firearms General Discussion